GTG - 1900 Gold Liberty Quarter Eagle

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bg1856, Jul 26, 2020.

1. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Circulation damage still looks good MS-60

4. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I know I am way out to lunch on this, but there is a shaded area around the year on the obverse and also on the bottom of the reverse. Can anyone tell me what is causing the shadows? Other than that, I think AU

5. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I'm at 66; on such a small coin the surface marks are minute. Luster looks full. good strike, great color.

Rheingold likes this.
  6. bg1856

bg1856 Junior Member

Ok folks, here is what NGC decided. MS67 (NGC Census 38/3 finer PCGS 22/1 finer) Toughcoins and Ksparrow were the closest in their assessment. It's interesting to see everyone's judgement based on a picture alone. Your thoughts? lf3.jpeg

7. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Wow that's great goes to show I can be way off the grade sorry.

8. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

What's about me?:(

bg1856 likes this.
  9. bg1856

bg1856 Junior Member

My apologies Rheingold. Credit to you as well :happy:

Rheingold likes this.
  10. Dima

Dima Member

Really underestimated this one. After the reveal, I'm not too surprised. Reviewing the photos, I can clearly see the fields still hold that almost "textured" look (I bet there is a proper numismatic term for this?).

The primary reason I'd guessed so low was simply over-focusing on the minor dings/imperfections. I often find the same problem looking at my coins under magnification which is too strong -- I tend to focus on the tiny dings and overlook the overall allure of the coin.

john65999 and bg1856 like this.
  11. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

bg1856 likes this.
  12. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

I'm woefully inexperienced in quarter eagles of this era. It is a pretty coin, I'll go ms-64. I think graders may go a bit tougher on the small coins as they didn't have the big open fields that $10's and $20's had.

bg1856 likes this.
  13. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Quarter eagles from this era are tough to grade. But the source of the photos was a hint that this wasn't a common au58 grade.

bg1856 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted