GTG: 1897 Barber Half Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Seattlite86, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

So this is my type coin for my type set and purchased it slabbed over 5 years ago. I’m very happy with the grade it has. I consider it slightly better, but it means I paid the right amount. I think this one will sit as is. It would Ben interesting to see what CAC would give it though. ;)

5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

CAC would likely give it a green been. It’s not undergraded, but it doesn’t have any problems either and is solid for the grade.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. LuxUnit

LuxUnit Well-Known Member

I think that's way better than XF but what do I know lol

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

@Seattlite86 , I think you have an undergraded Barber half by a point. I'm firm at AU50. Very nice.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. Eric Babula

Eric Babula Active Member

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. Eric Babula

Eric Babula Active Member

Oops, I didn't see that you already posted the true grade, XF-45. I really think I'd pay at least that for this one, and if it had more luster in hand than I see in the pics, I'd be more inclined to stick with my guesstimate of AU-53. If I had that one and were selling, I'd be hard-tempted to re-submit it to see if it could upgrade, depending on luster. But, I'm not a Barber expert. I'm not ANY kind of expert, actually. And, I don't have the coin in hand. Regardless, I like this one, and would be happy to have it in my collection! Thanks for offering it up to me for free! You're the best! :D

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Looking at it tonight, I'll change my grade to AU50. For some reason, it now looks better than it did the first time I looked at it.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Could be the alcohol ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted