GTG:1897 Barber dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Santinidollar, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I am going mainly on visual appeal, due to the stain on the obverse and the chatter all over, so MS62 would be my guess, but I'm not known for my grading abilities. LOL

Santinidollar likes this.
  4. schnickelfritz48

schnickelfritz48 Well-Known Member

Based on the photos provided, MS-63.

5. schnickelfritz48

schnickelfritz48 Well-Known Member

Could you kindly provide your evidence of "tooling?" It would be a great service to everyone who has posted, especially me.

6. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I see no proof fields, nor do I see the devices being that frosty. It looks well-struck MS to me. Only issue is how much the baggy cheek brings the grade down. Reverse is much better than the obverse.

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'm taking a shot and saying PF 63
    (something about the photo makes me think proof and at that point I can see anything in the 58-63 range)

8. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

This is really an interesting coin and I thank the OP for posting it. I already called it PF-60 with the notation that I am no means certain it isn't a business strike. I am also torn by some thoughts that it might be a details coin, i.e. fields that look somewhat questionable to me.

9. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I've decided to re-guess from PF55 to PF60 as NGC has not graded any 55s.

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

11. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Tooling may have been the wrong description. The area around OF on the obverse, looks like something was removed from the coin

13. Cliff Reuter

Cliff Reuter Well-Known Member

Unc. Details- Stained

14. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

15. chascat

When viewed on the NGC Cert. website it looks more like a proof strike.

16. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I said PF58 because I saw it as a proof with impaired fields. NGC saw it as unc so now I wonder about the 60 grade, because I don't see it as that beat up. I suppose they're a lot tougher on proof coins.

17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

NGC saw it as a Proof

18. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I know. By "unc" I meant that they also saw it as uncirculated. I'm just questioning the 60 part.

19. chascat

NGC only saw it as a proof.

20. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to cause confusion. I'm not talking about the proof versus circulation strike thing. What I mean is that NGC sees it as an "uncirculated" proof by giving it the 60 grade, meaning not impaired, worn, circulated, whatever, whereas I saw it as "circulated" and gave it 58. Once it crosses that threshold it makes me wonder why 60 and not 63 or something since it doesn't have that many bag marks.

21. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I see some pretty significant cuts and dings on the portrait and fields on the obverse. The reverse shows quite a few small dings on the denomination and in the fields. Plus, both sides show some dulling or something that is degrading the reflective appearance of the fields. These things don't rise to the level of circulation wear but they knock the grade down to minimal uncirculated status. Just MO but those are the reasons why I graded it PF-60.

Draft saved Draft deleted