GTG: 1892 Columbian Commemorative

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Beefer518, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

One of my most recent acquisitions. Have fun. reveal Sunday evening (or so);

Obv-web.jpg Rev-web.jpg

ddddd and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I have a 1893 in AU-58 that's as nice as yours . I'll guess AU-58 . If that makes any sense . : )

yakpoo and Beefer518 like this.
  4. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Nice rims, OK strike, acceptable toning, but many Obverse contact marks and a few on the Reverse. I would give it MS63. No one with "Beefer" in their name would buy an AU coin. :)

Beefer518 likes this.
  5. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I'm going with AU-58. There are distinct rubs on the cheek, hair locks, mainsail and main topgallant sail. Toning is OK but I'm seeing muted luster although that could always be due to photography. If the TPG graded it MS, it is probably at 62 due to the abrasions and multiple tick marks. I'm not being snide but I see this as a AU-62.

6. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

For me, it's hard to tell if those are rubs on metal or rubs on the toning. On mushier strikes, the seams on the sails are the first to go. It could go either way.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    Beefer518 likes this.
  7. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

It is uncirculated. MS 63. Don’t see any wear, just a soft strike, which is typical for that coin.

8. BJBII

BJBII Metrologist, CSSBB

I have more than a handful of the '92 & '92 Columbians. About half are graded. While I believe the obverse carries more weight, I generally look closely at the reverse and the lines on the sails, the latitude & longitude lines, and the ripples in the waves. Based on your reverse side and the scratches on the obverse, I am guessing AU55. I could be too critical, but I will hold to my guestimate.

Beefer518 and yakpoo like this.
  9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

On a technical note the high points on the obverse are more or less cabinet friction from the way the coin was stored. I am in the low MS maybe a 64, But my guess is 63.

Beefer518 likes this.
  10. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

No question the reverse strike is mushy but I still see rub in several areas as shown in reverse blow-ups below. Not real obvious but I think it's there. I have also high-lighted the rubs that I see on the obverse. It's always tough for me to make a judgement on a toned coin from photographs but I still think this is a AU-58 that maybe graded as a 62.

Rev1.jpg Rev2.jpg Rev3.jpg Obv1.jpg Obv2.jpg

11. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

12. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

13. ddddd

ddddd Member

First thought was MS 64
    (although those that say AU 58 have made me waver a bit, I'm sticking to my first impression)

Beefer518 likes this.
  14. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm at 64. Pretty coin.

Beefer518 likes this.
  16. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

I going with AU 58 still a nice coin be I see some circulation

Beefer518 likes this.
  17. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Very sensible, Sal. :)

I've seen AU-58s that look nearly as nice as an MS-64.

Beefer518 likes this.
  18. Beefer518

So when I first saw the coin, the first thing I noticed was that the color was much more booming then the photos I based my purchase on, so that was a score IMO. Second thing was that the luster is full, including on the sails. Third thing I noticed (with directed light) was that the surfaces at the legends (obverse and reverse) were mirror-like. It's impossible for me to capture that in an image with it being in a slab (and I tried). I believe this coin was struck from a late state proof-like die.

This is a somewhat weakly struck coin, with no rub. What you folks saw as rub is actually weak strike, and planchet flaws that weren't struck out. This is why I absolutely hate trying to grade Columbians that I don't have in hand.

Anyways, here ya go;

Slab-obv-web.jpg

longshot, ddddd, yakpoo and 1 other person like this.
  19. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I was going to say “in an MS-63 holder” because the eye appeal. As others have said, it has minor rubs and marks. Grading it “MS-65” is embarrassing for NGC.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Pickin and Grinin and yakpoo like this.
  20. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I guessed MS-63, too. What I find amazing is...this would be MS66+ if it were a Morgan Dollar. It seems like TPGs grade based on the known population rather than the condition of the coin.

21. Beefer518

I can say with the utmost of certainty; there is no rub. I have the coin in hand, have examined it with a 10x at all angles, and see no areas of rub.

I wonder what the opinion of the grade would be if this was a PCGS holder instead of an NGC. Maybe I'll submit it to PCGS and see if it crosses.

Pickin and Grinin, ddddd and yakpoo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted