GTG 1888-O Morgan Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, May 24, 2015.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I just picked this up at my local coin club meeting the other night. I really liked it and had to have it.
    1888-O Morgan Dollar Obverse.jpg 1888-O Morgan Dollar Reverse.jpg

swamp yankee and Savy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Those marks across the face & hair look strange

4. jtlee321

Hehehe... It's one of my favorite aspects of this Morgan. I've been reading the book "A Guide Book of Morgan Silver Dollars" by Q. David Bowers. I know exactly what those marks are. I'll let others explain if they choose, or I'll say what they are when I reveal the grade.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like it would grade MS65 to me.

@Treashunt
    Those marks look like striations in the planchet caused when the metal strip was being drawn to its correct thickness before cutting the planchets from it.

Chris

fish4uinmd likes this.
  6. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Cant tell for sure, but there looks to be some doubling in the mottos on the reverse, especially in United States of America. Can't get the photo resolution high enough to be sure it's not MD.

7. brg5658

brg5658 Well-Known Member

I agree with Chris, they look like roller marks to me. As minted, and supported by the fact that they are consist on the obverse and reverse, and at the highest areas of the design.

It's a lovely Morgan, even if weakly struck up on the centers. Congrats.

8. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

I'd grade it MS64.

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Fantastic coin. Those lines are on the reverse, too. They're embedded and give the central areas somewhat of a grazed-out look. I don't know if the TPGs will adjudge their markets will down-grade it for that. Acknowledge them in the description and I'm at MS65 money on it.

10. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'd say MS65; very lovely coin.

11. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

almost like someone took a wheel to it and then realized what a mistake it was...they are indeed strange.

12. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

Those are just the rollers lines from a weak strike and that is one weeeeeak strike, but nice color on it.

13. fish4uinmd

What are roller lines?

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

They are lines embedded in the metal strip as it is being drawn to its correct thickness before the planchets are cut from the strip.

Chris

micbraun likes this.
  15. jtlee321

You guys are exactly right about the lines. They are planchet striations. Reading up on how these were made, the pressure of the press is consistent through all the presses. The difference is the distance set between the dies during the striking process. The distance between the dies on this particular press was obviously too far apart. This resulted in what is termed a "weak strike". This is the weakest strike I've seen in a Morgan dollar. I loved the fact that the striations left on the planchet during the drawing process are so pronounced, it show's a history of the manufacturing process. If you look closely there is a small gouge on Liberty's cheek, I think this was made when the planchets were punched out and the resulting weak strike did not get rid of it. The TPG's may not like the planchet striations but I do. The bonus of this Morgan is that it is holdered in an old ANA slab. While I was examining it, I thought it was under-graded by today's standards. I picked it up for only $50.00. So without further ado...

1888-O Morgan Dollar ANA Obverse.jpg 1888-O Morgan Dollar ANA Reverse.jpg

micbraun likes this.
  16. fish4uinmd

One of the great things about CT forum, you learn cool stuff as you go along.

17. fish4uinmd

You got a unique 63 for the price of a 62

18. Seattlite86

I'm surprised it only got a 63

19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

They held the lines against it. I'm with you.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  20. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

No, it wasn't the striations that earned it a 63-- it was the weak strike. The coin has really beautiful eye appeal, and nice surfaces-- the thing that kept it from a gem grade in the weak strike-- look at the eagle's breast. The feather detail is minimal, which is typical of softly struck o mint coins. Otherwise, it is a very nice coin.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  21. Seattlite86

Great point, I was too busy staring at everything else.

Draft saved Draft deleted