GTG: 1885 Seated Liberty Quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Aug 17, 2019.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Clash

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That’s all it could be I’m sure but then I just can’t picture that shape coming from the wing.

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

The answer, strangely IMO, is MS63. I had it pegged at MS65.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  6. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Do you have any other photos than the PCGS Truview? @ToughCOINS read the photo correctly and guessed to correct grade. For those of us with less experience with seated coinage, maybe more realistic photos will help our grading skills with this series.

7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I don't right now. Will have it in hand Monday.

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Doesn't have enough bag marks for 63.
    Weak strike aside, a 65 would probably show LIBERTY better on the shield.
    Is the verdigris at 7 and 12 o'clock the result of an old dipping and retoning?

9. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The only way that coin could be any less than 65 is if the TruView is totally a “beauty contest” photo, where the direct lighting washes out imperfections that do exist on the coin. I was more in the 66 range, but could accept 65, based on that TruView. Other photos are necessary to properly grade that coin, as no way that the PCGS picture of it represents MS 63.

Mainebill and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

My thoughts exactly.

Mainebill likes this.
  11. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I don't disagree with your assessment that the TruView photos often conceal meaningful flaws. The goal of a photographer should always be to depict the coin as realistically as possible. Unfortunately, they only get one shot of each side to do so, and there are an infinite number of perspectives from which to examine a coin.

In PCGS' defense, I think they do pretty well compared to some others, but no one is perfect. Missing distractions on a coin, or even secondary positive attributes is often a by-product of capturing the coin's most important attributes adequately.

As concerns being able to read photos that de-emphasize certain features, whether intentionally or not, that is a learned process, and takes a lot of time. I'm still frequently surprised by what I missed when a coin purchased from photos arrives in the mail. Those lessons accumulate and build one's knowledge base . . . much of it undocumented, and retained as experience-based intuition.

Mainebill and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  12. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Not seeing a 63 at all

13. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I’m in full agreement. I saw a few small marks on the shield and the left obverse field but nothing else and I’m very familiar with grading these. I just wonder what the pic is hiding

14. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

When @ToughCOINS made his comment about being dipped, I looked at the TVs again and agreed with his assessment. But still not seeing 63

Draft saved Draft deleted