GTG: 1883-O Morgan Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, May 18, 2018.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Here's another Morgan I just bought that I though might be fun to do a GTG on.

1883-O-Morgan-Dollar.jpg

Doc J, *coins, Robert91791 and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CircCam

CircCam Victory

63PL. Love it.

jtlee321 likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

MS 63
    ...I'll guess no PL, but a different image might make me change that opinion. :p

jtlee321 likes this.
  6. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

7. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

8. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

MS63 PL at the very least and judging by the reverse die state it could be DMPL. Very nice acquisition...

jtlee321 likes this.
  9. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

64 pl

jtlee321 likes this.
  10. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

63PL

jtlee321 likes this.
  11. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

You dirty dog you !!
    I recognized that vam immediately!!
    Youve made an awful lot of brag posts lately!
    Ill go 62PL just to be a playa hata!

@Dave Waterstraat IIRC you were looking for a very late die state of this vam correct ??

jtlee321 likes this.
  12. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

You are correct. My avatar is the latest die state I own (so far) ;)

13. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

63 DMPL

jtlee321 likes this.
  14. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

64 PL

jtlee321 likes this.
  15. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

63 PL

jtlee321 likes this.
  16. jtlee321

So this one is in a gold labeled PCI holder. It's graded as an MS-64 DMPL. The grade I would agree with. As for DMPL, it's a borderline DMPL and a no question PL. The frostiness of Liberty and the Eagle certainly do not help with the photography of this one. The very minor frost breaks look much harsher in an image than in hand. I've certainly seen worse looking 64's.

I bought this one for the VAM itself. I've been on the hunt for a VAM-1C for a long time now. For $85.00 I could not say no to this one.

1883-O-Morgan-Dollar-PCI-MS-64-DMPL-Slab-Front.jpg 1883-O-Morgan-Dollar-PCI-MS-64-DMPL-Slab-Back.jpg

Here's a couple of images that show how deep the fields are. It does have a fingerprint on the reverse, that I'm hoping is not etched in. I'm seriously debating on cracking this one and giving it an acetone bath. Then I can measure the the mirrors on it without the plastic influencing the measurements.

1883-O-Morgan-Dollar-Obverse-1.jpg 1883-O-Morgan-Dollar-Reverse-1.jpg

Doc J, *coins, charlietig and 6 others like this.
  17. Pickin and Grinin

I liked the contrast in the first photos the best.
    If you decide to crack it. I have an 83O in an NNC MS-64PL that I would crack.

18. jtlee321

I am very close to cracking this one open. I'm curious as to what @Dave Waterstraat would do. He's the collector of these VAM's.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  19. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

That's one hell of a pick jet. !!!
    Color me green w envy :wideyed:
    Been Hunting that same vam although I did purchase one pre attributed but that doesn't count. You've been on a roll lately and it's funny because good scores always come in groups it seems. Nicely done and good eye!
    If it were me I would probably leave it alone but if you plan on keeping it.....
    I would crack it dip it, change the acetone and go another 24 hours at least. Send it to NGC and then have messy desk put a sticker on the reverse. Interested in what Dave has to say as well as a value on that one

jtlee321 likes this.
  20. Pickin and Grinin

I figured the VAM. Caught me sleeping.

jtlee321 likes this.
  21. jtlee321

Yeah, I saw it in the case. My first thought was "Ok PCI MS-64 DMPL, I at least have to look". So I picked it up and thought, ok this is nice, then I turned it over... I knew it was coming home with me no matter what!! I couldn't tell you how many '83-O's I've looked at and turned over hoping to see that reverse. Finally got it for my birthday. :) The coin gods were smiling down on me for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted