GTG: 1882-S Morgan Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Aug 31, 2018.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I have not done one of these for a while. I just picked this up the other day, it was love at first sight. What would you grade her?

1882-S-Morgan-Dollar-Obverse.jpg 1882-S-Morgan-Dollar-Reverse.jpg

Wingnut6999, CircCam, *coins and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

I'm terrible at Morgan dollars. I'm going to go MS64.

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I'm at 65 nice coin depending on the holder it may be in a 64

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Very pretty. Is something going on between the N & U in Unum or a lighting artifact. Almost looks like a minor clash.

6. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Is it graded by a TPG or raw? Looks gem to me.

longshot likes this.
  7. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

8. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

solid 65. 66 if it's in a newer slab.

9. Idries Pappas

Idries Pappas Well-Known Member

10. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

It's a shadow of a scratch on the holder.

It is graded. It's in an NGC holder.

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

12. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Still at 65. Would have been 66 with a clean neck.

13. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Strike: The definition of the eagle's breast feathers is fantastic. There is some weakness in the hair detail, but the strike on this coin is fantastic. Easily 66 material.

Luster: The luster on this coin appears to be blazing. It looks flashy, and I'll bet this coin positively glows in the light. 66 at least, but room higher.

Eye Appeal: Off the charts. I love the original hue of the obverse, and I'm going to assume both sides have that subtle color. It's not blast white, but it's just about. Eye appeal is 65 or higher.

Contact Marks: The reverse has literally no contact marks that are mentionable. The reverse is a solid 67 or 68. The obverse has a couple of minor ticks on the face, and one unfortunate reedmark in the obverse left field. I think that single reedmark is the only thing keeping this coin back from 67.

Overall: Easily a 66, all day long. Probably even a 66+, depending on when it was graded. I think the reedmark in the field keeps an otherwise exceptional coin back from a 67. Honestly though, given how exceptional the rest of the coin is, I wouldn't be surprised if it did get the 67.

RonSanderson likes this.
  14. physics-fan3.14

Have you guys ever seen a 64 Morgan? Go look at the Heritage archives, examine at least 20 different coins graded 64. Compare those to this coin.

Now go look at a 66 or 67 Morgan. Examine at least 20 different coins graded 66 or higher. Compare those to this coin.

Now, tell me again which grade you like better - or explain why you grade this coin at 64.

15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

An honest question...those marks on the reverse arrows, tail feathers and branch would have an effect on the grade? I really am not a grader at this level so I'm just curious.

16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

17. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

when I posted my reply the coin wasn't deemed graded or raw...had this been in a old rattler it would of had a 64 on the slab.

18. physics-fan3.14

Those are considered to be "luster breaks" moreso than contact marks. You see the same effect on a couple of the stars, the feet of A, and in the field above the motto. Yes, they will affect the grade (and drives me to a 66+ rather than 67), but their effect on the grade will be minor.

tommyc03 likes this.
  19. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Wow! We got a debate here.

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

21. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

65+

Without the mark in front of the face I could see it at 66.

Draft saved Draft deleted