GTG 1881 S Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BlackberryPie, Jan 11, 2019.

1. RittenhouseCU

RittenhouseCU Member

That may be your definition but it is not what the graders use. Impaired luster is exactly that, luster that has been knocked down by contact or etched off by toning or chemicals. If the luster has merely been brushed by light contact, like a slide mark from contact with another coin, the coin is still technically UNC.

If etched off by toning, it may still be considered technically UNC depending on what the coin looks like.

Actual wear when the metal has been worn down to the base and you see the color and surface change, then the coin is circ.

However, those are merely technical points and with hi AU to UNC coins do not greatly play into what a piece will be graded. That's determined by look.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I am fully aware that better AU coins and some problem coins are graded MS. A fingerprint is a problem, no matter if the TPGs take them into account or not.

4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Yes, market graded Mint State. I won't touch those either. I also won't touch a technical MS-63 graded as a MS-65 because of the toning.

I love how the TGP's think they are "valuing a coin" by bumping the grade because of color. They think they are assigning the value by thinking the coin will sell for normal MS-65 prices. Then the bidiots come in and bid it up to MS-67+ prices. So now the coin has been "market graded/valued" by about 4+ points. Anyway's that's getting away from our discussion. You and I know what a "Unc" coin and an "AU" coin is. Just don't expect to get it from the TPG's, always buy the coin and not the holder.

5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

A tough coin to grade. I feel without the fingerprint and the somewhat blotchy toning I could see it at 66. I think the print downgraded it to 65 but it’s no doubt original. A high end 65 I think would green bean no problem too

Draft saved Draft deleted