GTG: 1876 Liberty Seated Half Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, May 4, 2021.

?

Grade it, por favor.

1. AU 50

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. AU 53

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. AU 55

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. AU 58

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. MS 60

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. MS 61

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. MS 62

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. MS 63

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  9. AU details

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  10. MS details

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Nah, no sand paper, but maybe steel wool

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Mono directional light scratches= light contact. If it were buffed or they were the result of polishing, they’d be swirls or gouges.

FEDA4280-02D3-4B8D-84CB-5F29CAEA055F.jpeg

4. chascat

Looks like that happened after the old toning...Perhaps there was a bad carbon spot.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  5. Morgandude11

Hard to say. Definitely contact, although light. Question is, how did PCGS treat it? The reveal will be interesting. Holding out for a few more opinions, as this coin is intriguing.

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Are they cut into the surface or raised? It doesn't matter to me what one calls them, but if they're raised, they're die-related, and I'm inclined to forgive the coin struck from that die as it hadn't a chance to be in better condition. A distraction it would still remain, but more a production defect than tampering. I'm more accepting when the Mint is the party that compromised the design, just as in the situation of caked-on grease flattening-down lettering, as those, again, are production defects, they're how the coin started out. I'll duly note it on the 2X2. I'll even offer less for it. But I'll let it go to grade, and there's the difference.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    Morgandude11 likes this.
  7. Morgandude11

They are slightly raised. You think it might be a die variety? I have been wondering. Here is as close as I can get:

9E29D732-E4DE-4CBE-A333-F317CD2D2399.jpeg

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I don't know I'd call die polish lines a "variety." Then again, these days, just about everything is a variety, or an error, or a "VAM," so go figure...

Morgandude11 likes this.
  9. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

They just look too heavy to be die polishing lines. You have the coin in hand so you can see it better than we can, but they just don't look raised to me.

And die polishing lines do not a variety make. They may be a diagnostic for a particular die or die state but they don't make a variety. And certainly not an error.

Now that line that connects Stars 10, 11, 12 and 13 looks like a die crack to me. Again, not a die variety but rather a die state.

chascat and Morgandude11 like this.
  10. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

11. chascat

Is it a clash which was corrected by the mint?

12. Morgandude11

Ok, the reveal. When I bought it, I was pretty sure it was a MS details coin. Then, I looked carefully at the area to the right of Liberty on the obverse. Under a loupe, they appear to be slightly raised. So, this one is a confusing coin. Obviously, it was dipped. Is the area on the right field area of the obverse contact marks, or a die artifact. Answer: I don’t know. Now, for the grade. Where did PCGS ever get this idea for a grade? It seems to come out of left field. Either the area in question is a die artifact (struck through die polish?) or it is contact, and that would make it MS details. I see no circulation wear, so how does PCGS get this grade? At any rate, I am enjoying it as an attractive coin. The photos are very accurate as to how it looks.

E16498DC-0CE9-4774-A6D0-12FEBEEE017A.jpeg

ddddd, bradgator2 and William F like this.
  13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

As it's graded "Circulated" the distinction isn't grade-relevant. It would be grade-relevant were it graded "Uncirculated." Because it's not wear, it's not grade-limiting, whatever its nature on this coin. I'm talking technical or condition grade. Sometimes these market graders get a little mixed up and grade down for abrasions like these on circulated coins for the market, I've seen what I believe are clear examples of it.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  14. ddddd

ddddd Member

AU 55 is odd. The only thing I can think of is "net grading"....they felt there were issues but not enough to detail it. So a low UNC was netted down to AU 55.

15. Morgandude11

That is the only thing I can think. It was net graded because of the issues, but not enough to detail it. I agree with you. Since I paid EF money for it, I am happy, anyway. It was just a curiosity. Just is odd, as it is sure closer to a low MS coin than an AU one.

longshot and ddddd like this.
  16. ddddd

ddddd Member

It sounds like you did perfectly fine. I've picked up plenty of curiosities over the years too.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  17. Morgandude11

Yes, it was a late night auction, with not that much activity, so the issues the coin had were quite livable for me.

ddddd likes this.
  18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think it was graded down. If it's Circulated, it looks better than 55. They play games with this grading for the market, sometimes, and sometimes just plumb don't know what they're doing, I think.

ddddd and Morgandude11 like this.
  19. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

ha! got it right on the nose, lol

Draft saved Draft deleted