GTG-1871 Liberty Seated Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Publius2, Oct 6, 2026 at 12:51 PM.

?

GTG 1871 Dollar

This poll will close on Oct 8, 2026 at 12:51 PM.
  1. VF-25

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. VF-30

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. VF-35

    33.3%
  4. EF-40

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. EF-45

    66.7%
  6. AU-50

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Publius2

    Publius2 Well-Known Member

    I bought this coin at a local coin show in 2021 as a filler for the type set because it came with a very low price. My intention at the time and still is to replace it with a better specimen, just haven't focused on that yet.

    I would love to hear your judgements on how you think the TPG graded this coin and if you think the TPG got it wrong or right.

    BTW, this is die marriage OC-2, an R-3 coin.

    Poll will close after two days.

    Have fun!

    DSC_1106.jpg DSC_1107.jpg
     
    Anthony Mazza likes this.
  2. Avatar

    Guest User Guest



    to hide this ad.
  3. Neal

    Neal Well-Known Member

    The coin is somewhat rough, but I see very little actual wear. I think it could go AU-50, depending on who graded it.
     
  4. samclemens3991

    samclemens3991 Well-Known Member

    I haven't a clue what a grading service would say but there is slight wear on Liberty's gown so I think the coin is a XF-45. Not sure how the weaker stars and head detail was interpreted. james
     
  5. Mr. Numismatist

    Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

    Definitely has issues, but hey, it's a Seated Dollar.

    The obverse has XF sharpness, but the reverse is slightly more worn and combined with the damage/weakness on the shield, I'm thinking VF-35. I could see it being a point higher or lower depending on the grader.
     

Share This Page