GTG 1867 dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by drbrummer, Dec 28, 2017.

1. drbrummer

drbrummer Active Member

This is my most recent purchase and a coin I am very pleased with. Curious what the forum thinks as far as grade. For full disclosure, I am using seller photos since they are far superior to what I could take on my own. Thanks for any input! 1867o.jpg 1867r.jpg 1867.png 21997066_r.jpg

mark_h and Nathan401 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Very nice dime. Hard to tell from pictures for me, it might be MS, but I'll say AU 58 from pictures, since not in hand.

4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

5. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

Is this a proof? Guess at MS-66

Paddy54 likes this.
  6. Mainebill

Mainebill Wild Bill

Nice coin tough date. It’s a business strike with polished dies as this can be known for. There’s 2 combinations one being used for proofs in a 6k mintage im calling it au 55 though 58 or a low ms grade wouldn’t surprise me. Low pop in all grades 2 in 55 1 in 58 Blue label pcgs holder I like it a lot

7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I am at AU55 - and then add that is a beauty no matter what. I really like the color on it and the way it looks. That is a great addition.

8. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

63, nice obv clash

medjoy likes this.
  10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Variety Collector

Let's guess 600 proof strikes 6000 mint state I'm going with a proof 63 as it's my believe that it be easier obtaining a 63 proof than a mint state..... then it could be a ms struck coin using a proof die. No matter it's hammered and she's sweet!
    This one is almost a ball in the air thread....... who's going to nail it.:rolleyes:

And to echo frank nice clash a 102 variety but maybe by chance it could be ms 64 plate coin....with a cac no matter one sweet coin.....:wacky:

11. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Not sure if I could say... might be MS64 or AU58

12. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

AU-58

I see 3 areas on the obverse that look like rub to me. the shoulder, the face, and the breast

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    mac266 likes this.
  13. Paddy54

Do your homework ;)

Kasia and mikenoodle like this.
  14. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Looks like a proof to me. But I would hit it at Impaired Proof, somewhere in the 53-55 range.

Knowing PCGS, they gave it a PR63 or PR64 straight.

15. Kasia

You are right, I need to.

16. Kasia

I will go with MS simply because from the pics I am seeing om my laptop it looks like it might be that.

Paddy54 likes this.
  17. Paddy54

So you'r at 64? MS? Correct?

18. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

The coin is far rarer in Mint State. Good call by @Beefer518 and @ddoomm1 but I can’t tell Proof or unc based on the pics. I can’t see the outer rims.

19. Kasia

I'm making a leap to that which is probably wrong. This is my first try at doing this series and although parts of the coin seem a little weak I did not see wear at the high points that I thought it would show if AU. But I could be wrong.

20. CoinBreaux

CoinBreaux Well-Known Member

21. Paddy54

So you want to phone a friend?

Draft saved Draft deleted