GTG 1866 seated liberty dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by potty dollar 1878, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Pr 64 cam. I bet the reverse is cam and doesn’t show in the pics. Too many marks in the field for higher

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I think if you had posted decent pictures of the coin, my guess would have been very different.

I can't think of a reason why the cameo looks so different (almost completely lacking) in your pics, whereas it is full and deep in real life. @robec @messydesk @rmpsrpms - can you explain why the cameo looks so different?

[​IMG]

furham likes this.
  5. potty dollar 1878

Could it be that I choose the holder pics not the pcgs true view ones wasn't really thinking should've known to choose the true view pics.

6. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

This latest photo looks like a completely different reverse, and not in any subtle sense.

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I was trying to match contact marks between the two pics to see if they were actually the same coin or if one might... have been minted in a different location, if you get what I mean. The OP's pics aren't good enough to really do that well.

8. potty dollar 1878

True view pics/holder pics what I choose should've known better to do true view ones but yes both have different appearances. 20200928_174221.jpg Screenshot_20200928-174157_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20200928-174204_eBay.jpg

9. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I cannot help but believe that the original photo of the reverse posted by the OP was somehow mixed up by the seller with a different coin. I'm not implying any nefarious intent. When I'm handling lots of photos, I sometimes mix things up too.

Anyway here are some direct comparisons. First the full size reverse posted by the OP then then the TruView. Then, in the same order, closeups of the left wing and then the head. These do not appear to me to be the same coin and until someone can provide a logical explanation, I will continue to believe they are different reverses.

Not that it really matters at this point. But this photo posting on the web for very expensive coins can be really problematic when the sellers don't care enough to be careful and take good photos. The seller's photos aren't very good as you can see from the closeups.

Original Post.jpg Tru View.jpg Original Post-Wing.jpg Tru View-Wing.jpg Original Post-Head.jpg Tru View-Head.jpg

10. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Look at the arrow heads, completely different.

11. potty dollar 1878

Well he wants almost 100k for it so I'm surprised but not surprised how it hasn't sold yet do to wrong/messed up picture's.It would've probably sold if had better accurate pictures.

Draft saved Draft deleted