GTG - 1853 25c Arrows and Rays

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CircCam, Mar 16, 2019.

1. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Wow, I wasn’t expecting that. Does it have bad hairlines that aren’t readily apparent in the pictures?

CircCam likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

They probably looked at the light grey highlights in the design area against the darker grey fields.

It might be that this coin has some hairlines that are not showing up in the photo. I've hairlined coins that only showed their sins when they were tilted in just the right way.

Sometimes the refusal to grade a coin is a crock. I used get coins body bagged when I was dealer for no reason. They would give you some over graded "gifts" in and then refuse to grade coins with no problems. I've had NGC body bag a coin that PCGS graded and vice versa. Some times it looks ike the grading comanies are just looking for more revenue.

Paddy54 and CircCam like this.
  4. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Negative. If anything the picture reveals its flaws even more since it’s under the goosenecks.

I’ll have to take a look at it again when it comes back but it never set off any red flags for me so I admittedly didn’t scrutinize it a ton under magnification. Just looked like nice dark circulated silver.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Try PCGS as it's barely noticeable. Certainly market acceptable to me.

CircCam likes this.
  6. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Yeah, they also bodybagged this one at XF Cleaned which was a real shame as it’s common and wasn’t really worth submitting the first time value wise, but I love the coin and wanted it for my set.

A1C1569D-95FB-467A-A978-BEA6CC5E1A3A.jpeg
    In this case I can see hairlines in the obverse fields in the photos though. Either way, I don’t think “market acceptable” was anyone’s cup of tea that day.

7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I can easily see why the Standing Liberty Quarter got the body bag. The 1853 Arrows and Rays, not so much.

TypeCoin971793 and CircCam like this.
  8. coinsareus10

coinsareus10 Well-Known Member

Both look MA to me..

CircCam likes this.
  9. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

I was at 40 or 45, and it doesn't look cleaned to me.

10. CircCam

CircCam Victory

PCGS liked it- VF35
    56B03234-83E5-4F76-A682-18EE2510B390.jpeg

ddddd, Paddy54 and longshot like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted