GTG - 1840 and 1864-S Half Dimes

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Sorry, I’m just trying to count the number in a row we had. Was that 1, 2, or 3? Spoilers, we won 3 in a row!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

And your total losses since game #1 better take off your boots to count them ! Because your 10 fingers aren't going to cut it.:p

Dynoking likes this.
  4. Seattlite86

I conveniently stopped counting after the last three years. It’s been a great three years! :p

1916D10C likes this.
  5. Paddy54

You owe me a wheel of cheese..... I expect delivery by December 24! :hungry:

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

It has been a great 3 years! :D:)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. Seattlite86

I’ll come see you next year, and I’ll even be in town when we win for a fourth year in a row. I’m happy to pick you up some cheese for your w(h)ine:p

8. Paddy54

Good can't wait.....going to take you on a bar tour of Annapolis......:p we'll see if you passed army survival training....:hungover:

Dynoking and Seattlite86 like this.
  9. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Here is another half dime I really like. It has nice toning and detail.

(I found it in a small coin store in Brussels, Belgium many years ago. The seller wanted 400 Belgian Francs, that was about $8-$10 bucks at the time (about $25-30 today, I guess).
    I went back to that store quite often after that...)

1841 0 Seated Half Dime - Obv - 1.jpg 1841 0 Seated Half Dime - Rev - 1 (1).jpg

10. Paddy54

No known varieties for this date and mint mark. What I can tell you is mintage was unxer a million strikes @ 815,000. There were 7 obv.[ Type lll ], And 5 rev. Dies used to produce the 815,000 coins.
    You did very well price wise as it is a fantastic strike from a mint that isn't known for full strike coins.
    From your Image I say it is the medium mint mark as it is between the round shape of the small o and the oval shape of the large O.
    Placement of the mm is pretty much the same for all 3 sizes.
    What strikes me is the pendant....as the gown was completely redone and the pendant was added to the lower center. Yours looks as if it was added after the master die was dubbed. Just my opinion as most are perfect tear drop shaped.

Eduard likes this.
  11. Daniel Lowery

Daniel Lowery Active Member

Eduard likes this.
  12. Magnus87

Magnus87 Active Member

Another choice specimen! Al Blythe, in his aging but still-useful “Complete Guide” to LS half dimes notes that “medium and small O are scarce in all grades”. Rarity rating for both mm’s is R4 in EF-AU.
    D.

Pickin and Grinin, Eduard and Paddy54 like this.
  13. Paddy54

One half dime reference I wish I had would love a Al Blythe guide!

14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

i see a fist bump cominng. Seal the deal

15. Magnus87

Magnus87 Active Member

You wouldn’t believe how I fell into it: dutifully trailing my missus through her (not my) favorite aisles of a local big-box chain bookstore when I glanced over at a totally inconspicuous remainder counter. And there it was! Some years ago to be sure, but also a good time after issue date. For, like, nuthin’. Some days the coin gods (who aren’t in the habit of lurking around downscale book shops, I’m sure) smile down on us....

16. Paddy54

Good Karma for sure....

17. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Paddy, Magnus, once again, thank you!

18. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Love the surfaces and originality of the 41-o. I’d call it vf 35,

19. Paddy54

That does have a nice strike