GTG: 1835 Classic Head Half Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Dec 31, 2019.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Cohen 2. 55 and a very attractive one at that. The reverse looks to be closer to 58. Nice clashes and a few cool die cracks.

Nice coin!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

5. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

58. The obverse fields have the kind of contact marks and scuffs that you typically see on a 58. The flat spots on the very high points of the design probably have a little wear that goes along with the fields, although this is hard to confirm from just the one picture. The reverse is really nice, with the wreath protecting the luster in the fields.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  7. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Looks like a 58 for the reasons above- the color looks a little unusual for an AU though but I like the coin, whatever PCGS called it.

8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Agree

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

MS 62 ...probably an AU that made it's way into an UNC slab

10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

All the other AU58's I see are fairly dark brown. This coin has BU luster, color, and surfaces with a nice swirling luster throughout. If it's AU58, it's the finest 58 I've ever seen.
    IMG_0082-down.JPG

11. CircCam

CircCam Victory

It’s a sweet coin, hard to believe it could retain that color and have seen true circulation. Well done

12. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

You could probably get 62 money for it. A knowledgeable buyer would understand that its quality supersedes most of its grade level. I know what you are talking about with most being rather dull.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    C-B-D likes this.
  13. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert on EAC grading, but it seems this would have a higher EAC net grade than many 62s, which can be a bit beat up in comparison with this one.

C-B-D likes this.
  14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Missed this one because I was too busy partying ;)

But I would have guessed 58, and agree that this is an exceptional coin. Very nice, attractive, lustrous... exactly what you'd want from a 58!

TypeCoin971793 and Paul M. like this.
  15. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I see now the coin is still a nice even brown but the luster is so solid that it brightens it up in the images. Gonna try sending to NJ @C-B-D ?

16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

The color and brightness of the pics is the same in hand. Believe it or not. I was thinking BU all day long.

Edit, after looking at it again, yes the obverse is an even light, lustrous brown, but the reverse has those red mint luster highlights, and is very close to the pic.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Randy Abercrombie and CircCam like this.
  17. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I believe it, your pics are always accurate every time I’ve picked up coins from you. What I meant was when I saturated the color of the coin it looks like it still has a very nice light brown natural patina despite the lighter color. Definitely has the eye appeal of an MS coin regardless of technical grade

Randy Abercrombie and C-B-D like this.
  18. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Kind of baffles the mind how mint red remains on a "circulated" copper coin this old.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  19. CircCam

CircCam Victory

My thoughts exactly... I was thinking maybe Blue Ribbon or one of its earlier iterations could have protected the surfaces but even then it seems more plausible that the coin is uncirculated. Fun to ponder anyway

C-B-D likes this.
  20. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Wow that is a really nice 58 Classic Head half cent! Around 1992 I mailed ordered 2 half cents from a prominent mail order dealer. Both were ms-63's maybe R&B. One Classic Head, probably 1835, and one Coronet Head. Both were sent back as they were absymally ugly. I recall no surface luster of any kind. They were nothing like this coin & they weren't cheap: I recall prices of around $450 apiece.

C-B-D likes this.
  21. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I thought a 58 and a pretty one. I think it was more handled in a collection than ever truly in circulation I like it a lot

C-B-D likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted