GTG: 1830 Capped Bust Half Dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Sep 21, 2019.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Guess the grade:
    IMG_0572-side.JPG

HaleiwaHI, old49er, Nathan401 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  4. CircCam

CircCam Victory

C-B-D likes this.
  5. Paddy54

A 62 with the rubs on her....and she's been dipped to remove toning. Nice coin very sweet die marriage would I pay 62 money no!

Now the R -5 factor could convince a h10 collector to be willing to pay a premium.
    However 99.99% of the time I wouldn't share this information ...I cherry pick him :eek:
    But this is John.....and we done some horse trading over the years....and I would be honest with him as we have an understanding.....:D

You too can have an understanding for a price:cigar:

C-B-D likes this.
  6. Paddy54

Here's what a 62 should look like s-l400-13.jpg s-l400-14.jpg
    The eagels right wing top no wear,no wear on curls and cap.

Nathan401 likes this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

8. Paddy54

Thanks not mine just pulled an image for educational purpose....
    But please know I'm not knocking your specimen, in fact would love to make it part of the Paddy h-10 collection.

C-B-D likes this.
  9. Paddy54

Another point many don't know is that at * one time these were highly collectable series. However album kept that toned them dark....many both bust and seated show that they have been dipped....their skin dull and show signs of retoning .
    This is a issue a h -10 collector like myself deals with all the time , but again it's what you deal with collecting this series.

* I say very collectable series as they were cheaper to collect than higher denominations.
    As 5 cents had the buying power of a buck today.
    So to many who were middle class could afford 5 cents.

10. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

AU 55 Nice coin.

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Is there luster on it in hand that we just aren't seeing in the pictures? Because a coin of that grade needs luster. That toning is so thick that it starts to become a hindrance, especially with that mottled appearance.

I'm going to WAG AU-55. This is the sorta coin that, based on those pictures, if I were a variety collector and I needed the variety I'd put a halfhearted bid on, but wouldn't be upset if I lost.

Can you show us different pics with different lighting?

TypeCoin971793 and Paddy54 like this.
  12. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Au53 sweet R5!!

Paddy54 likes this.
  13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I'll post the trueview next week if it ever uploads. Been taking up to a week after getting grades to get a trueview.

14. Paddy54

The mottled appearance that Physics fan speakers made it difficult at first to do the attribution. There 1 that shows a centering dot below her ear....first glance you think yup this is this variety....then the pices come together and you realize it is toning not the centering dot.

15. Paddy54

So you concour with my attribution Nat? I know you did the attribution lol couldn't help yourself could You? :hilarious:

Nathan401 likes this.
  16. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

17. ddddd

ddddd Member

18. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

19. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I’m with @physics-fan3.14 on this one. I can’t see how much luster there is. The details are minimum 58, and I don’t really see wear. My guess is 62 with the luster subdued from the terminal toning

20. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Nice coin, toning not so much. MS 61 my guess.

21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted