GTG - 1827 Half Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TypeCoin971793, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Ouch...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Eh. I still don't care much about Overton varieties. ;)

I'm philosophical about it, whereas some folks would be sick.

'Least I got a good story out of it, which I'm still telling, twelve years later.

Win some, lose some. I've had my share of wins, too.

4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I attributed a bust half for someone, and he flat-out said he didn't care. I replied, "Fair enough. But I have made thousands because of people like you."

5. TypeCoin971793

6. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Well I was sort of right. From the images, the toning lookes pretty market acceptable to me.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  7. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Really like the look of the coin, nice find

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yep. Now, of course, I do like to know.

But I still find myself not caring a whole lot about the varieties, personally.

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Important point there - TPG's are simply judging whether or not the toning is "market acceptable," not whether or not it's "natural" even though that's the term they sometimes apply to it. ICG disagrees with NGC on this one, and I don't see how NGC has people more capable than Randy Campbell or Skip Fazzari. Heck, NGC might disagree with themselves if the coin were cracked and resubmitted. :)

So ultimately every toning evaluation lies in the eyes of the beholder, unless you're willing to blindly believe what you're told. Me, I find the toning acceptable in my market. :)

Kirkuleez and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  10. TypeCoin971793

I don't really care from a buying perspective (not worth a premium to me, except when buying for resale), but I will make a HUGE deal about it when selling.

11. TypeCoin971793

I will be taking this coin to a show tomorrow to get opinions. It will stay in the slab until then, just to see what people say about ICG (should be entertaining with the grade covered). Then it will be promptly cracked out and placed in my type set.

12. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Original or not - I like the way it looks in the pictures. Nice pickup.

13. TypeCoin971793

Cracked out and in the album. The luster is extremely hard to capture accurately in pictures.

IMG_0288.JPG IMG_0289.JPG IMG_0305.JPG IMG_0306.JPG

14. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

15. TypeCoin971793

Well, I showed her around at a show, and the variety of opinions was interesting. I covered up the grade to receive unbiased opinions.

One guy I know from my coin club said it was XF. He blamed the grade on old-school, by-the-book technical grading. He is a member of EAC, so I guess he EAC graded my half. No problem there. It was nice hearing him discuss the difference between technical grading and market grading.

Most people called it AU-55/58, and one said that many dealers would sell it as an MS-61. They all said that there were obvious, yet subtle, points of wear. Looking at the coins they had for sale showed that there are different grading standards for buying and selling, the latter being much looser.

One said it artificially toned. After talking with this dealer, it became apparent that he really knew what he was doing. He also priced all of his coins fairly, so I spent the most money at his table.

One person questioned why I had covered up the slab label, and figured that I had done so to hide a "cleaned" designation, so he called it cleaned. When I told him that it graded AU-55, he said "Oh. Then it is a nice coin." :confused:

16. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I don't think it AT'd. I think it had a dip at some point and retoned in an album or envelope, as many have done. Nothing wrong with that. AU 55 seemed right to me. Truly "original" silver from that era is going to be very, very dark and it just isn't such a popular look. I like the coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted