GTG 1820 Large Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TypeCoin971793, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I would buy the story behind it, It just needs a CAC sticker:).
    But, only if it had green bean, I couldn't afford a Gold.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

She is off to PCGS! :)

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

So you spend the better part of your time on this forum bashing PCGS, but when you want a coin graded, you choose PCGS. Care to explain that logic?

baseball21 likes this.
  5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

To be fair, his last NGC order was riddled with mistakes and undergraded coins ...

6. TypeCoin971793

That, and the bust half I also sent in would sell better in PCGS plastic than NGC plastic.

Also, the PCGS box I use for my 3 slabbed coins and my largest Chinese coins does not fit an NGC holder. It was a perfectly logical decision.

7. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Crack or crossover? Can’t wait to see what they grade it.

8. Pickin and Grinin

Just because they sell the best, doesn't make them accurate graders, or the best grading service.

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Selling for the most does in fact make you the best grading service, that means your opinion is the most respected.

As far as what makes them accurate graders, well their 30+ years of success, billions of dollars of coins in their holders, international operations on several continents, yea they're much more accurate than forum grading

Lehigh96 and Kirkuleez like this.
  10. TypeCoin971793

Also, I bash PCGS insofar to demonstrably show that they are not as great as everyone thinks they are.

If I had my way, then none of the TPGs would get my money. But since American coin collectors are addicted to slabs, off to the TPGs my coins go.

11. TypeCoin971793

Which baseball team has the largest fan base, and which is currently performing the best? They are not necessarily the same things.

Sigmund Freud was once very respected, but now his research is being proven wrong and faulty. Because one’s opinion is blindly respected by the vast majority does not make them right.

Your logic is seriously flawed.

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Freud said it all points back to our mommies. He's sort of right... LOL

13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

You know what I find most frustrating of all? If PCGS or NGC calls a coin improperly cleaned or environmental damage or whatever, everyone assumes they are right and therefore assumes your coin is a piece of junk. They have the final say, even if they're wrong. Similarly, if a coin fails to CAC or crossover, everyone assumes there must be something wrong with it that "the pics don't show." This is why I like @Eduard 's way of collecting and a couple others here. They keep em raw and buy what they like and they love coins and enjoy the hobby fully.

14. TypeCoin971793

This coin is not perfect and would never straight-grade to TPG standards. But it would NEVER be considered a piece of junk by anyone with any knowledge. That’s why I abandoned this sector of the hobby.

3A8CEECC-52AD-46F4-9970-8D4C4750E6B0.jpeg 1AC3364B-582B-4FB7-8C30-1964D0A039EB.jpeg

15. Pickin and Grinin

Remember the grading scheme that is being presented.
    Ma_rk_et_ing. They are no doubt the kings of a controlled Market.
    That said It doesn't make them the best, But if you wish, suck it down with a nice cold brew, Because at least you believe the BS tastes good.:shame:

16. baseball21

If you want to cling onto outdated standards and think you know more than they do that's on you if you think nothing should ever evolve and you have nothing to learn from the TPGs.

Definitely easier to sell coins when you can get people to buy them raw for TPG prices

17. baseball21

18. TypeCoin971793

I bought that coin in May, and I sent it to NGC in the beginning of August, back when US coins were still a pursuit. I just got it back today.

19. baseball21

For all the bashing you do of market grading why exactly did you think a soft strike with countless little marks and friction should be above a 63? That seems like the type of coin that from how some of you advocate for grading to be you should be jumping for joy it ever got higher than AU

20. Pickin and Grinin

Shouldn't the real discussion be about whether these coins seen in all of the major slabs be considered AU or MS?

21. baseball21

Not in this case. That is a separate discussion which I have said for a long time I am glad it's becoming a continuous scale instead of two stacked on top of each other, but consistency of opinion matters which is the issue here. People shouldn't have one scale for what they want to buy and another for what they hope to sell

Draft saved Draft deleted