GTG: 1813 Capped Bust Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Sep 12, 2018.

1. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Site is double posting again

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

40 with a typical weak pressed area.

4. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

The obvious wear. Or weak strike stinks. I do wish it was a better strike. Are Bottom left leaves near 50 same cause as you described.?

5. Cheech9712

Pressed. Stamped. Struck. Hit. Or punched. ??????

6. Cheech9712

@GDJMSP. This one. Kinda

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

What exactly is it that you're asking me Cheech ?

8. Cheech9712

Your colors and texture of a weak strike. I get it now. We discussed the gold piece's leg , knee etc.. Seeing the gray area. Attachment was showing you some what of what you said. You might have
    to page up to see the reverse of the 50 center

9. Cheech9712

Hope i didn't confuse you

10. Cheech9712

Post 35

11. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice coin. I missed that one by a mile.

13. GDJMSP

[​IMG]

I was afraid that was the one you were asking about. I say that because it requires a long explanation. The weakness in the wing and leg are not the result of a misaligned die, but I will readily agree that these dies were slightly misaligned, though it's not the cause of that weakness. Nor is it the result of wear, nor is it the result of a weak strike, or die subsidence. With this coin the weakness that we are seeing in the wing and leg are the result of an obstructed die, some also call it a filled die or grease filled die. Why do I say that ? Process of elimination, because given everything that we can see, that's the only thing it can be.

So where to start with explanations ? I guess misaligned dies. Misaligned dies can occur in three ways, they can be misaligned on a horizontal plane or on a vertical plane, or both. If they are misaligned on a vertical plane then one side of the coin will be slightly of center from what the other is, and this coin is. The obverse -

[​IMG]

- is slightly off center and the reverse isn't. But that could not cause weakness in the wing and leg. It could however account for some weakness in the stars on the left hand side of the coin - which is what we see.

If dies are misaligned on a horizontal plane then the face of the dies are not parallel to each other. And if the dies are not perfectly parallel then one quadrant, or one side, of the coin will be weakly struck - depending on just how far out of parallel they are. And again, on this coin the stars on the left are weak. So again I agree that the dies were slightly misaligned and causing that weakness - in that location.

However, if you look at the rev, the tip and upper portion of the wing, the inner portion of the wing closest to the body, as well as the shield, on the left side of the coin (the eagle's right wing), and even the eagle's right talon, those areas ARE well struck. The only part of the wing that is not well struck is that central portion of the bottom of the wing. But all the areas all the way around it - are well struck. And since that portion of the wing is not a high point, it is actually one of the lower points in that area, that weakness in that specific area cannot be due to misaligned dies, general strike weakness, or wear. And if it were die subsidence we would see cracks or breaks - but we do not so it wasn't that either.

The only thing that's left to explain that specific area of weakness is an obstructed die. The other areas of weakness on the coin, yeah those can be explained by the other reasons, but not that one.

Does that answer your question cheech ?

14. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

35-40...didn't this coin GTG here recently?

15. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I thought it was explained earlier that that area on the reverse corresponded to the highest point on the obverse die: Liberty’s cheek. The same phenomenon is seen on gold dollars and the like.

16. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

My initial EF 45 grade was well before the posted grade. I apparently graded it twice at the same grade.

17. GDJMSP

Yeah, but it's still not the reason and can't be. For one, if it was it would have happened all the time - it didn't. Two, as I mentioned before, that specific location of the reverse is lower than the points immediately adjoining it. So if there wasn't enough metal, then it would be the higher points that did not get filled (struck up) not the lower points. And three is the strike was weak then all the adjoining areas would be weak too, but they aren't they are well struck. Very well struck even. Look at the very bottom of the leg, the top of the talon. Even the finest detail is there !

And with this coin, we're not just talking about weak details - which would be the case if there were not enough metal. With this coin we're talking about the complete lack of ANY detail. So when that happens, to this degree, and in a location like this, the only possible explanation is that the die was obstructed.

You have to remember, a lot of things sound logical because there are times when they ARE the reason. But you have to think it ALL THE WAY THROUGH. And when you do, what you're left with is the true answer.

18. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Ummm... it did happen all of the time for early capped bust halves. Check out 1813 O-109 and tell me how EVERY SINGLE LDS EXAMPLE has the same weakness in the same spot if it just a die obstruction.

So it would disappear more easily with improper metal flow. Or, more likely, the detail was lapped away.

So every example of a gold dollar with a strong wreath and weak date had an obstructed die error? If your theory does not hold for one type/die variety, then it cannot hold in general.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  19. Cheech9712

I like the discussion

20. GDJMSP

TypeCoin, if you don't understand what I've been saying, and based on your comments you don't, there's no point in discussing it further.

Draft saved Draft deleted