GTG: 1797 Tuppence

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Coinsandmedals, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I think yours is at least as good as the 2 64's that Heritage has sold. That 65 is a stunner. In my opinion, yours isn't quite that good but I also think the HA piece is better than a 65.

Yours is better than any I have ever seen in person.

Coinsandmedals likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

I'll give you 63 money any day of the week! ;)

4. Coinsandmedals

Coinsandmedals Well-Known Member

@Chris B I could not agree more on all fronts.

5. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

That 65 I kinda wonder if it should be Red Brown ? But that is an awesome coin no question.

as for this coin I agree looks to be a ms64BN but a nice coin regardless

6. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

Wow! Nice coin. One that I would look at often if it were in my collection. I think it should have graded higher, but as they say: you pay your money and you take your chances.

7. offa the saxon

offa the saxon Well-Known Member

I would grade it at EF on the European scale because of the dig marks

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

What "dig marks"? That Cartwheel 2d is a Mint State coin, and a Choice specimen at that. Were you referring to a different coin?

brg5658 and Coinsandmedals like this.
  9. offa the saxon

Reverse under the 7

10. lordmarcovan

Nope. Don't think so. Minor planchet irregularities, is what that looks like to me.

11. offa the saxon

Well I think we will agree to disagree

12. Coinsandmedals

While I appreciate your opinion, I disagree with your assessment. After reexamining this coin in hand, the "dig marks" you are referring to are actually a continuous raised lump with no corresponding rim ding to account for it. I believe this is a cud, not a "dig mark" or as you put it "dig marks".

Chris B likes this.
  13. lordmarcovan

And this is the assessment I agree with. Looks like a cud or similar die-related anomaly to me?

14. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

I'll join the ranks of disagreement. This is simply not an EF coin.

15. mrbadexample

Is there a little edge bruise before the G? There seems to be a little swelling in the edge there unless it's a trick of the light. It doesn't detract for me though. ;)

16. Coinsandmedals

Good eye! The picture exaggerates it a bit, but yes there is a minor rim bump at 7 o'clock. Otherwise, the edges are smooth as can be.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  17. mrbadexample

I'm wondering if that contributed to the grade being lower than expected? I'll admit I don't cope well with the Sheldon scale. :meh:

18. Coinsandmedals

It thought the same, but geesh that would have been very nit-picky given how minor the rim bump is.

19. lordmarcovan

Don't you Brits have a TPG service that uses a 100-point scale? I seem to recall seeing some British coins in slabs as such, that were done by a British company. Whether it was by some fly-by-night boiler room operation or an actual reputable service, I don't know.

The 100-point scale makes a lot more sense to me (you can tie it to percentages), but getting American collectors and TPGs to abandon the quirky Sheldon Scale will probably never happen.

I mean, look at how we've been with the Metric system. When I was a schoolkid in the '70s and '80s, I was told by teachers that we would have the USA fully transitioned to Metric by the 1990s. You see how well that went!

We're a stubborn lot. Set in our ways.

Colored currency notes? Perish the thought! That's for those foreigners!

(2000s: OK, we'll add a tiny bit of color. To some of our notes.)

20. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

wowzah, this is a beautiful coin. I held one of these in person, my goodness, what heft! I do hope to get one of these someday for my crown sized collection

21. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

CGS, run by London Coins is the grading service. They have been variable in my experience - IMO overgrading some, under grading others....

I love the OP coin, although it is earlier than what I normally collect & would be proud to have such a coin. I am of the MS64BN club also and for the reasons stated.

Draft saved Draft deleted