GTG $10 1907 Indian Head

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Alexthegreat, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

4. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

5. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

6. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

63, a few smallish marks that knock it down from 64.

Alexthegreat and Rheingold like this.
  7. Alexthegreat

Alexthegreat Active Member

Thank you for all the answers :)
    I will solve this now. The grade is Ms63 and this is right in my opinion. On the one hand the coin has nice luster on a granular surface, but on the other hand there are these tiny scratches that are typical for a very short circulation or the contact with a textile. On top of that a leak of luster on the cheakbone keeps and on the lower feathers of the eagle keeps it from Ms64.
    Overall a good coin, but I will sent it back because of it was too expansive :dead:

Santinidollar likes this.
  8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I applaud your discipline. I think I'd find it really hard to let go of that one once I had it in hand...

Alexthegreat likes this.
  9. Alexthegreat

Alexthegreat Active Member

It is very hard! But it becomes easier when you think about other nice coins that you can buy with the money instead of this one :)

10. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Over the years I found the grading on the 1907 No Periods $10 gold to wildly inconsistent. The big problem is that the coin was softly struck, and some graders seem to have problems adjusting to that.

Here are a couple of examples.

NGC gave this coin an MS-61. I think that it is at least and MS-63 with a shot at 64. I ran this one by @Insider at one point, and he generally agreed with me.

1907eagleOJPG.jpg 1907eagleR.JPG

This one is a PCGS MS-64, CAC. It has great luster. These coins tend to be found with a satin finish instead of bright luster.

1907 Ten Dol O.jpg 1907 Ten Dol R.jpg

Here is the "standard type" for the design with "In God we trust" added. More changes were made to the design in addition to the motto. Ms. Liberty's hair is more sharply defined. NGC graded this one MS-66.

1908 Motto Eagle O.jpg 1908 Motto Eagle R.jpg

11. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

With all the hits on it, I can see why it got MS61. I would have thought it would maybe be an AU55 at best.

Draft saved Draft deleted