GTG: #1 1903 Morgan Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Feb 24, 2017.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

MS-64PL with very heavy die polishing.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Nice. Looks like a 1a. Love that girl. I have a thing for heavily scrubbed dies and both sides of 1a have been hit hard by the brillo pad.

Check out the 1a page. Messydesk did a cool looking gif on this one

4. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I'm thinking 64+, in lieu of PL. 65 wouldn't floor me, but it'd be a lower-end one.

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

What did the teacher say to the VAMpire? Can't you Count, Dracula? I just love that silly one! :)

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am gonna say 63 the tattoo on her neck is distracting. Sure looks like someone cleaned her though.

8. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

AU 58

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

9. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

10. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

Tricky, but MS-63PL.

11. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Sorry guy's I just finished a 14 hour day on my feet walking around on concrete shooting state high school wrestling tournament. I'll post the answer in the morning. Sorry for the delay. :)

12. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

But it is morning.

13. jtlee321

Sorry for the delay. The results are NGC MS-65. I know that hit to the neck is distracting, but the rest of it is absolutely stunning. I picked it up because of the super heavy die polishing lines. And it is VAM-1a, I knew the VAMpires would come through. :)

1903-Morgan-Dollar-VAM-1a-NGC-MS-65-Slab-Front.jpg 1903-Morgan-Dollar-VAM-1a-NGC-MS-65-Slab-Back.jpg

charlietig likes this.
  14. Pickin and Grinin

You Know? That little comment about a details grade? It took me going to VAM world to figure this out. I had thought someone might have put an eraser to that sucker. Nice Morgan!

15. Fjpod

Fjpod Active Member

Great coin but isn't that wear on the curl over the ear?

16. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Nailed it !!
    BTW is this,-:vulcan: the vampire emoji?

jtlee321 likes this.
  17. jtlee321

No, it's a white crusty part of the silver. I've seen it before on lot's of other Morgan Dollars. My guess is it's part of the original planchet, that did not get fully struck out.

18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This one is not a particularly good strike, especially for Philadelphia, and the spot you mentioned is the very_first_place on a Morgan where a weak strike manifests. What you're seeing for "color" there is very likely the original planchet surface - it wasn't struck hard enough for any metal movement in that spot whatsoever (especially considering it's very close to the exact center of the coin).

19. Pickin and Grinin

Would you call it the same tone that is found on the stars? I call this a die state not strike evidence.

20. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

A bit surprised about the grade. The luster must have bumped it up on this one, because it seems really nice and frosty. 1903 is typically quite well struck, and this one isn't. I would have been torn about buying this one. Really cool VAM, but perhaps overgraded. In-hand may be a different story, of course.

21. Fjpod

Fjpod Active Member

I follow you....,But then how do you tell the difference?

Draft saved Draft deleted