GTG: #1 1903 Morgan Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Feb 24, 2017.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Here is a 1903 Morgan Dollar I just picked up today. It is in a major TPG holder. Can you guess the grade or if it graded? (Hint: this may be a trick GTG) ;)

Have Fun,

1903-Morgan-Dollar-Obverse.jpg 1903-Morgan-Dollar-Reverse.jpg

charlietig likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Oh golly, what's that tattoo on her neck? She's a gang-banger, lol.

I can't take my peepers off it. I give your photography 70. I'll say they gave her 62-63, on a heavily-worked, PL-ish die.

5. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

I must be old, but without the coin in hand, pictures make it hard. It is a very nice coin, but the "tattoo" and the swirls and coloring in the picture makes it look cleaned? MS63

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

@SchwaVB57, I think all those lines are just a heavily worked-over die.

furham and jtlee321 like this.
  7. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Thanks the possible explanation. I am also thinking about the trick hint in the original post.

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I think this gal has seen some commerce. If she grades (the tattoo looks like deliberate damage), AU55 or 58.

eddiespin likes this.
  9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Lol, I didn't even read the parenthetical when I graded it. But we'll see.

10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I know.

EDIT: But it shouldn't AU for it, right? We're talking circulation wear down there, not damage. Technically-speaking, anyway. It can be damaged post-mint and still be MS. Capice? :)

EDIT EDIT: State of preservation of the elements since it left the coin-press = the technical grade. If those elements look like they did when it said good bye, it's MS.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Santinidollar likes this.
  11. Santinidollar

Capice. Me thinks you're ahead of me on this. But has the lady been cleaned?

eddiespin likes this.
  12. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

64 PL?

*I* see wear, but the TPG's are gonna call that "cabinet friction". And the vampire that sucked on her neck for a few decades, well, I'm gonna say those are legitimate contact marks/bag marks.

And lots of die polish marks. LOTS of 'em! Cool coin. Can't wait to see how it graded and what the "trick" is!

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

We'll see what they say. She looks PL-ish. You knock out those lines in you mind, it comes across better.

14. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Im pretty sure those arent dremel tool marks, but im too lazy to go to Vamworld and confirm my suspicions.
    Ill say 65

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  15. jtlee321

FYI: I said this MAY be a trick GTG or it might not. Is it harshly cleaned or did someone use a belt sander on the die? ;):p

16. Santinidollar

Buddy, you got me stumped.

17. jtlee321

Hahaha... I'm waiting for the VAMpires to make their appearance.. Calling @Cascade, @SuperDave and @messydesk.

eddiespin likes this.
  18. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Vam 5789709000 . Lol .........................................
    Now that's trolling .......................

jtlee321 likes this.
  19. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

64. VAM 1A. Very heavy die polishing lines on both sides. Easily the most interesting 1903 variety. Nice luster, especially for a 1903. I don't see any wear, clean cheek, but soft strike and I don't care for the hit on the neck.

20. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

21. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted