Group of 9 old German (shooting?) medals on a chain--what to do?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by WoodyWW, Dec 1, 2020.

1. WoodyWW

WoodyWW Junior Member

Here are pics of the group, & some individual pics. Most are from the 1920's. They all look really interesting to me, esp. the art-deco looking one from 1927. I've thought from time to time about cutting the chain off (of course they'd all have the little mounting thing attached). Partly so I could enjoy them more, individually. However maybe 10 years ago I posted these pics on a different coin site, & the consensus was to keep them as is.
    Any advice on that? And can anyone ID any of the individual ones? TIA DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0002.JPG

Attached Files:

Bayern, capthank, tmeyer and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

That's amazing . I would leave them be or they could get damaged .I hope you get your answers .

DEA, derkerlegand and Bob Evancho like this.
  4. WoodyWW

WoodyWW Junior Member

More pics from my previous post....hope I'm not DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0014.JPG DSC_0015.JPG overloading people with all the pics.

MIGuy, capthank and furham like this.
  5. Jedinited

Jedinited Jayhawk Numismatist

I would leave them as is. Much more historically interesting and dismantling would not increase the numismatic value much, if at all.

DEA, Bayern, harrync and 3 others like this.
  6. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

That stylized eagle (2nd from bottom pic) is fantastic! Art deco to the max! I could see it as a background in "Metropolis"!

7. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

Are any of the medals named?

Bayern likes this.
  8. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Keep them as they are.

Bayern likes this.
  9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

They look German. Wait for medal experts...

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    MIGuy likes this.
  11. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

@WoodyWW, nice collection! However, the damage has been done; you can't hurt them (read: reduce their value) more significantly at this point.

So, the question is, how do you want to keep them? If it were me, I would have dismantled it 10 yrs ago, & been enjoying each one individually since then, however I wanted to display them. Some might need some "preservation", some I might self slab, but again, the damage has been done; I would probably not remove the mounting "loops".

Enjoy them the way you want to! JMO :happy:;)

12. johnyb

johnyb Member

WOW, President von Hindenburg looks awesomely,commandingly fierce.

13. WoodyWW

WoodyWW Junior Member

First, thanks for all the favorable comments & suggestions. I'm leaning toward leaving them as is, maybe b/c that seems to be the consensus. And I do appreciate them on the chain; presumably a member of a shooting club in Germany collected them as he went to different events, & probably wore it on occasion. Two problems with that tho: It does make it very difficult to enjoy each one individually. And there's probably some rubbing between them when I take them out of the plastic bag I keep them in, which isn't often, so I mainly just look at the pics every so often.

If I did take any of them off the chain, yes I wouldn't remove the the mounting "loops" soldered on to each medal. I'd clip the rings that attach the mounting "loops" on the medals to the chain. So presumably (?) I could re-attach them to the chain at some point. And sell them in an auction at some point as a group, on the chain. Not that I have any plans to sell them.

I agree with the poster who liked the 1927 art-deco type medal--it does look like it could have been in fritz lang's metropolis. The large Hindenburg medal is the only one that I really don't like--I might try to sell it if I can figure out exactly what it is. For now I've got them on a table next to my computer desk & just kind of looking at them. Funny, I just had them stored for many many years & just now starting to really appreciate them.

cheers

PlanoSteve likes this.
  14. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Those are awesome. Do you know anything about their pedigree? I'm imagining a shooting enthusiast back in the day who strung all of his medals together on a chain. Or perhaps his heirs did it in his memory. Good stuff.

15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I concur with the earlier consensus to keep the medals on the chain, as they are, though I do understand your temptation to enjoy them individually.

16. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

I agree, keep the set as is. If you really like any individual ones, just try to find them in undamaged condition.

Draft saved Draft deleted