Group lot goodies: 83 x fun, plus a draw!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Severus Alexander, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Interesting lot at a bargain price , Severus , probably will keep you busy the rest of the year :)

lot severus ct ses.jpg

educated guess , a Sestertius of Antoninus Pius 138- 161 slow quadriga going left, RIC 767
    and a Byzantine AE trachy coin.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

What an excellent lot! My first thought - show the other side of the Larissa drachm! Second thought - wait, show that cool fourree behind it!

IMHO, the two-thirds or so that are visible or at least not completely hidden show a lot of coins that are worth 2, 3 and in some cases many more times the average you paid. With all the coins in hand, you'd be the best judge of how you made out... so do tell :).

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

This is a kind of lot I might invest in. At least you know they are not all worn Constantine era coins,

5. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

mix.jpg Maybe a little Greek obol with a triskeles reverse...If your lucky a facing lions scalp obverse?

6. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

What a terrific lot! I'm really enjoying the process here.

ominus1 and Severus Alexander like this.
  7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

From what we have to see it looks like you've done very well, congrats !!

Q

ominus1 and Severus Alexander like this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Those medieval silvers look to be Trams from Armenia. Most likely LEVON I. Common fellow and looks like the type I own.

Nice lot, would have been fun to go through.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  9. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

Don't judge ancients by their size, this little coin may be one of the best of the lot:

Group Lot Coin.jpg

Dynasts of Lycia. Perikles circa 380-360 BC
    Ox: Horned head of Pan left
    Rx: Triskeles (side shown)

10. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

WOW!! I didn't expect such a tremendous response! Thank you!!

I originally intended only "new to me" ID info/tidbits to get your name into the hat, but this is too much fun... so that will still do it, but you also get your name in the hat if you get the ID, or close enough (according to me!), just from the part of the coin visible. Beginners get their name in the hat for getting ANYTHING right about a coin (not already stated, of course). Also: I won't put your name in multiple times, but please don't let that stop you from giving multiple IDs.

I'm super impressed by our members' knowledge so far, many of the IDs above are dead on even to RIC number. Some are not. :) I will catch up with the thread in a couple of hours! Keep 'em coming, and don't be afraid to guess too!

randygeki likes this.
  11. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I see a Maxentius in the upper left between the Elagabalus denarius and the Constantine from Thessalonica.

Also, the small coin on the left just below the sestertius with the quadriga reverse and the Byzantine trachy is either Constans or Constantius II, as Augutus, Trier mint, A.D. 347-348. Reverse type is VICTORIAE DD AVGGQ NN - Two Victories facing each other, each holding wreath and palm. Mint mark is TRS, with an ivy leaf on stalk in in the field. Similar to this, but with a different officina:
    upload_2017-11-10_11-21-32.jpeg

12. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

I think the gold coin is a Sicilian Tari..
    + there is a Levon I Silver Tram to the left of it.

2733930.jpg

Attached Files:

13. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

With the inscription VOT/XX/MVLT/XXX within a wreath, this little guy can only be an AE4 Constantius II from around 347-348 A.D.
    upload_2017-11-10_11-30-30.png

14. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

Great group, welldone

15. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

Your coins are welcome

16. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Nice lot there!
    20171110_102805.jpg
    Could be Sear 1918 or 1919
    sb1918.2.jpg
    sb1919.jpg
    Alexius I, 1081-1118 AD. Billon aspron trachy. Constantinople. IC-XC to left and right of Christ, nimbate, seated facing, holding book of Gospels / ALEZIW DECPT-TWKOMNN, crowned bust of Alexius facing, wearing jewelled chlamys, holding cross-tipped sceptre and cross on globe. Sear 1918

Alexius I. Comnenus, 1092-1118 AD. Billon Aspron Trachy, 3.96 g, 27-29 mm. Constantinopolis. +KE ROHQEI, IC-XC, bust of Christ facing, nimbate, holding book of Gospels / ALE DEC, crowned bust of Alexius facing, wearing loros, holding labarum and cross on globe. SB 1919

17. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Fantastic buy @Severus Alexander - what a steal. Lots of great coins @16$ a pop is amazing. Blows away my uncleaned hoard of 194 with 50% duds (at least) with lots of duplicates. You really made out here.

Mikey Zee and Severus Alexander like this.
  18. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Nice buy Severus. Group lots can be a lot of fun... I'm still working on one I got in August. Is that a Fausta/Salvs Reipvblicae I see to the left of the VOT X?

Severus Alexander likes this.
  19. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Well, of course Randy nails the FH! (Actually, Randy had already helped me with this one in another thread.) Here's the pic:
    Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 11.24.44 AM.png
    And there's another one hiding:
    Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 11.22.04 AM.png
    Can anyone ID the mint? (No cheating by searching for the other thread!)

20. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Wow amazing lot I can't wait to see what you made out with!

I also love the collaboration everyone is doing to help you attribute them!

Thanks,
    Jacob

ominus1 likes this.
  21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'd like to see the rest of the coin under the sestertius called by Andres2. I can't ID it from what I see but "horse" looks strange. Under the Greek IDed by Brian is another Aurelian that looks decent as far as can be seen.

ominus1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted