Ground Zero Coins/ "Blood money" for sale on e bay

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Vroomer2, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

This seller has 3 "9/11 coins" for sale.

You should all report the 3 "9/11 debris coin" auctions this person has up.

Click report this item.

Select the following:

Prohibited and Restricted Items

Offensive or Violent Material

Disasters and human tragedies

The more people that report this, the faster it goes away.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. awwatchdog1

awwatchdog1 Member

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Why? They are just damaged coins with an unverifiable story attached to them. Frankly the whole story could just be made up in order to sell some damaged coins. (and if the story could be proven true then the coins are an historical artifact. historical artifacts have a long history of collectibility.) Frankly if you don't happen to like it, then don't bid on them but don't go trying to shove your morality onto me.

When people start selling the TWC tenth anniversary medals that are coming out in a few days are you going to start demanding we try and shut them down because the government is capitalizing on the TWC tragedy to make a profit? Especially since they are putting them out from two different mints because they know they will be able to sell more of them that way?

5. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

Take your own advice much?

BTW, blood diamonds are not cool.

6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I'm with ya 100% Conder.

Besides: "(3) A portion of the net proceeds must go to charity. I will donate for the highest bidder to a charity of your choosing. You will receive a copy of the cleared check shortly after the auction ends with your name in the memo. If you wish to opt out of this requirement simply do not indicate a charity of choice in which case I will donate to one of the following organizations with no memo."

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Well I could be like the typical little kid here and say "He pushed first" but you do have a point, perhaps I did go a little far saying that.

true but they are also going to still be sold into the marketplace. Diamonds are in demand and once "laundered" (cut) it becomes very difficult to tell where they actually originated from. So that means the money will keep coming for them.

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

9. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

Now you're just being silly. Nevertheless, yes, I do "boycott" the Navy. :p

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Why? What is the difference?

11. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

In order to be consistent with the OP's request, we have to be sure to report all of the Nazi/Third Reich memorabilia that is available for sale anywhere, as they were the perpetrators of 1 of the greatest crimes against humanity ever. I'm thinking if anything could be reported and taken off the market and not be sold if just 1 person had a problem with it, there would be nothing for sale. We are talking about freedom and we have it for a reason. While we're at it, let's stop selling printed copies of the Bill of Rights also.

12. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

We all come from somewhere and all have our world views shaped by what we experience.

You all can bid and do whatever you want. I could care less.

To me all of the coins and auctions we have posted, hit nerves. And you bet I'm going to use eBay's system and policy to get them taken down. (Side note: eBay doesn't allow Nazi stuff either. It has its own special tag in the report system.)

The lectures and Internet rage about freedom, the free market, free speech, being offensive?

They all make me giggle.

[​IMG]

Really make me giggle.

[​IMG]

Bid how you want. It's not my money.

Kiss

13. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Whether it's right or wrong, it is tasteless, as I'm sure any sensible human being would agree. I highly doubt they are authentic as described, but even if they were, I've seen far more horrible things come across the world's most respected auction blocks. People will try to profit off of any circumstance, the government included.

14. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

Allowed
    Stamps, letters, and envelopes displaying Nazi postmarks

Currency issued by the Nazi German government, including military scripts

15. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

I just checked the auction link and the coins aren't there, so maybe your complaint did what you wanted. I, personally, don't see any problem with selling coins recovered from the WTC as long as a proper chain of ownership is maintained, i.e., purchased from the original owner or insurer and not simply found in the debris and pocketed by a responder. What is your opinion as to what should be done with them? Destroyed? Given away to WTC families? Put in a museum to be gawked at? I really don't see any difference between these coins and coins found on a Civil War or WW2 battlefield.

http://www.wtc911coins.com/about/

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Don't think so. I do not remember how many there were, but 3 of them ended tonight. Only one sold.

17. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

18. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

/opening can of worms/I'm going fishing. :)

19. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

CC
    Good work!!!!
    :thumb:

20. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Since the provided links go to shut down auctions, it's not possible to know what they said. What, exactly, was distasteful and repulsive about them?

21. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Draft saved Draft deleted