Griffins as representations of Nemesis.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Jan 25, 2021.

1. AnYangMan

AnYangMan Well-Known Member

Fantastic griffins everyone!

My favourite, though hardly anicent, Griffin. It doesn't only show a Griffin as the main heraldic element, but the coin itself was called a griffin as well (DENARI SIMPLEX NOMINAT GIRFONUS):

[​IMG]

Duchy of Brabant, Maximilian of Austria as regent for Philip the Fair. Silver Giffon/Griffioen (1487-1488, Antwerpen or Mechelen).

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    panzerman, Spaniard, Limes and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that the characteristics of Pax and Nemesis were combined in one deity, apparently on more than this occasion. I wonder what the rationale was for combining those two.

Orfew likes this.
  4. DonnaML

Thanks. I read your earlier post. I knew that Ovid was exiled to a town on the Black Sea, but had no idea that it was Tomis.

I'm familiar with letters of the Greek alphabet in the field signifying the denomination (i.e., the numbers of assaria) for coins of Marcianopolis and Nicopolis, also in Moesia Inferior, so I don't know why it didn't occur to me for my coin from Tomis in Moesia Inferior. (The dealer's description put Tomis in Thrace, but I changed it based on the information in RPC. Oddly, RPC makes no mention of the denomination, or the significance of the Delta.)

Judging from the coin you showed, I guess one knows Nemesis by her wheel, no mater what form she takes.

You should be able to find a nice griffin/wheel coin, although clearly they're not common compared to coins with griffins in general.

Roman Collector likes this.
  5. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Perhaps the most unobtrusive but ubiquitous depiction of a griffon is on virtually every silver denarius for the first 50 years of its coinage. Can you find it on this cornucopia symbol denarius?
    58-2-08-2006-LHS-Blk.jpg

6. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

Thats a great immage on the reverse, i dont see many. Now I want one...:happy:. Its the story and history thats as much of a seller as the great immage. Facanating.

DonnaML likes this.
  7. DonnaML

Is that supposed to be a griffin wing on Roma's helmet, with some sort of stylized representation of the griffin's head above it? I've seen other coins where the griffin's head is easier to see. But I've also seen Republican coins with a small griffin on the reverse, to the lower right of the horses. I just can't find one on this coin. Instead, I see something that looks like a corncucopiae.

8. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Close, Nearly on the mark. Roma's helmet crest is made up of a griffin. What looks like "spikes" on the back of the helmet are representation of the tufts on the back (usually depicted on the neck) of the griffin.

DonnaML likes this.
  9. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Here is my griffon symbol denarius. The griffin is usually almost unrecognizable as such except on the finest specimens. So technically, there's a griffin on both sides of the coin.
    182-1-blk.jpg
    Even the best examples sometimes require some interpretation. Here is a better one sold by CNG (Not My Coin)
    182-1-CNG-not mine.jpeg

10. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Very nice examples posted in this thread.

Here's probably the best griffin in my collection, acquired from CNG some time ago, as I recall.

Thrace, Circa 520-492 BC
    AR Oktadrachm
    Abdera
    Period II
    Magistrate EP.. EΠ
    Griffin seated left, foreleg raised, EP before / Quadripartite incuse square.
    Cf. May 48; SNG Lockett 1109; SNG Spencer-Churchill 96
    Toned good VF
    Some light old scratches on reverse.
    Rare
    29.3 grams

D-Camera Thrace, Abdera, oktadrachm, period II 520-492 BC, Spencer-Chruchill 96  29.3g  01-26-21.jpg

Here are my notes for this coin:

Comprising denominations larger than those being struck by any other mint at the time, with the sole exception of the regal Macedonian coinages and those of the Bisalti, these ‘medallic’ pieces are probably to be associated with the payment of tribute to the Persians during their occupation of the Thracian coast. This theory is corroborated by the presence of large numbers of octadrachms in hoards found within the territories of the Achaemenid Empire where they are far more plentiful than in their region of origin.

panzerman, cmezner, Spaniard and 7 others like this.
  11. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I had never thought of the wing on Roma's helmet as that of the griffin on the crest, but I suppose it could be interpreted that way.

DonnaML likes this.
  12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Yes I found this interesting as well. The reverse on my coin was used for Claudius on both denarii and aurei.

I also find it interesting that snakes play a prominent role in religion to this day. I am thinking specifically about the southern USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis

DonnaML likes this.
  13. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@DonnaML.......That's a lovely coin!....Really like the two tone colours which gives the coin some 'Zing'! Only one in my collection...
    Ionia, Phokaia, c. 350-300 BC. Æ (15mm, 4.36g, 11h). Phokleon, magistrate.
    Obverse..Head of Hermes facing left wearing a Petasos hat tied at the back.
    Reverse..Forepart of a griffin springing left. ΦΩKAEΩN (PHOKAEON), name of the magistrate below.
    SNG Copenhagen 1039ff (magistrate); BMC 101.
    hermes black.jpg

14. DonnaML

I like the contrasting colors too! Do you think that results from partial cleaning, or is it "natural"?

15. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Not really sure but it does look as if someone has tried to take off the green in some areas at least, for example just behind the rump of the Griffin and a small section in front. Also behind the portrait....But I hasten to add that this doesn't deter from the coin AT ALL!....It's a really sweet looking coin, quite a big chunk too!....One thing I do like is when zooming in on the head of the Griffin there's some great facial detail which is a real bonus!......Great catch!....Paul

DonnaML likes this.
  16. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Interesting Griffin post! I have a few on ancients, but the most recent is a small scale weight from Genoa.

upload_2021-1-27_19-2-19.png
    Italian States GENOA 12 Lira coin weight
    Obverse: Genoan coat of arms: two Griffins holding a shield between them with crown on shield. The Griffin are standing on a mantle. Letters to left and right: OTTAVO GENOVA (Eighth Genoa). The M below (in ex) could be an assayer’s mark or mint mark.
    Reverse: blank with adjustment marks

3.16g. 19.1mm.
    This weight is 0.2633 grams per Lire. Several other weights on line have about the same weight.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  17. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Really nice topic!

Great coins, thanks for sharing:)

Here are some of mine....
    One from 1793 Genoa
    other from Phokaia 600-550 BC b025a1913415a8aa0f7f5c45f54392ea.jpg image00602 (1).jpg

18. DonnaML

That's one fierce griffin head on the bottom coin! Interesting that the form is already established so early, and stays pretty much the same up to modern times.

panzerman likes this.
  19. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Thanks:) The Griffin/ Dragon/ Chimaera/ Eagle/ Lion have been a mainstay of coinage from the archaiac period to present. Also these are symbols for coat-of-arms/ heraldic emblems/ military might. My favorite is still the Habsburg Double-Headed Imperial Eagle. 00347q00.jpg

20. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I enjoy seeing the artwork on your coins. I saw a 96L coin when I was looking to describe my scale weight. The coat of arms is on several coins and weights from Genoa.
    upload_2021-1-28_0-15-43.png
    The city of Genoa in a woodcut from the Nuremberg Chronicle, 1493... wikipedia

21. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Amazing griffins everyone. Thank for sharing :happy:

A griffin and a sphinx are quite similar, the winged androsphinx and the winged griffin only differ by their heads; apart from that, they both have a lion body and bulging teats. This hybrid lion-eagle creature was a symbol for strength, power and earth and aerial dominion.

There are also coins of Marcus Aurelius, Antoninus, Severus, and others (http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=nemesis) with two Nemesis, maybe representing that Nemesis has two personalities: on one hand she is the goddess of fair distribution and on the other hand the avenger, sometimes called Adrasteia (the unyielding). This could also be an interpretation for the use of two griffins like the ones on the @rrdenarius coin from Genoa.

panzerman and DonnaML like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted