Grey Penny.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by John - Maryland, Dec 10, 2009.

1. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

I don't know how you can have the two coins side by side in a picture like that and not see that the damaged one is thinner.

Some of us have seen these things hundreds of times before.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John - Maryland

John - Maryland Junior Member

Slightly thinner because it's missing the clad outer shell. (UNCLAD).I will have it checked and get back to you. Not saying your wrong. Thanks for the input.

4. John - Maryland

I find it hard to believe that putting a penny between a leather belt and useing a HAMMER on it would increase the size to a nickle with slight thinning that could be the result of being unclad. Also wouldn't it be unsymetrical. This coin is perfecty round and I would think it would have to be "Much" thinner to be the size of a nickle. I understand what you are saying, and I will try it, if I can find a belt I don't need. Thanks for your thoughts.

Attached Files:

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

U hit the nail on the head Dutch:kewl:

6. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Whatever caused it, it's still post mint damge.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The leather conforms to the surface of the coin and spreads the inpact of the blow to the ENTIRE surface evenly. That is why the high areas are not flattened.

There is no clad outer shell, the cent is plated not clad and the thickness of the plating layer is only .002 inches removing the plaing woul only change the thickness of the coin by about the thickness of a human hair. The edge picture clearly show more of a change than that, and you would not have to reduce the thickness very much to get the diameter that your coin has.

8. John - Maryland

Just got back from a reputable coin dealer who reiterated what the general consensus was that this coin was somehow altered after it left the Mint.

Of course that was my feeling all along.

Attached Files:

9. JHXHD

JHXHD Metal Detectorist

Are you sure its just dirty?

10. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

I think this was brought out before but the cent is 'plated' not clad.

11. SJVM

SJVM Long Time Gone

"Of course that was my feeling all along."

What?? I find this hard to believe....

12. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Ya hey I just pulled a few hundred grey pennies like that from the scene of a housefire. Some are expanded from the heat, all are grey and reained details. I was hoping to find some melted together but the heat must have not been enough for that. It looks like there is some sort of something stuck on the field behind Lincolns head on your coin, also similar to those I pulled. Yep, the more I look the more I think that's what that is. I'll be putting all mine out in circ. Soon. - Andy

13. jnet9102

jnet9102 New Member

i had to post on here... i always collect any odd coins i find at work, sell the silver ones, and research values of anything else.

i have two of these, and they are both the same year, 1989.

my first thought was that it was tin, per my coworkers comment, but it doesnt seem to be. also, the tin pennies were made during the great depression, i believe, definitely not in 1989.

there must be something to these pennies besides the acid theory.

it is unlikely that two coins would pop up in ohio, and one in maryland, from the same year, that had randomly been dropped in acid.

Though i notice, his coin looks on the edges like it has been squashed, and the edges protrude out. the coins i have are not like that.

Amy Evans likes this.
  14. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

You are thinking of the 1943 Steel Cents.

15. Prospector

Prospector Member

Throw it in a coin holder and wait till someone else has one authenticated.. could be a foreign planchet intended for a foreign country.

16. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Oh man, I love these threads. People holding out against all evidence that what they have is worth a fortune.

Posting pictures would be very helpful. Why must there be something other then acid? I would argue that although 'it is unlikely that two coins would pop up in ohio, and one in maryland, from the same year, that had randomly been dropped in acid', it is many orders of magnitude more unlikely that two genuine mint error coins would do the same.

17. stealer

stealer Roller of Coins

Because it's a science experiment performed in high schools (maybe even middle schools) around the country...

On a side note, this thread is OLD!!

18. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I know, jnet9102 restarted the thread today with a questions about two he found.

19. Prospector

Prospector Member

Does anyone have any hard evidence proving when this school experiment started and when they stopped doing it?

20. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

How could anyone prove "when they stopped doing it"? As soon as you show someone was the last one to do the experiment someone else will do it. Plus I don't think there is a central clearinghouse where high school science teachers report their experiments with coins.

21. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

It looks like burned ones I have seen. IMHO

Draft saved Draft deleted