Greenland

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Bean, May 20, 2019.

1. Bean

Bean Member

Hello everyone! Is there anyone here that collects Greenland coins? I've just started collecting them. I'm trying to learn all I can about them.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I have a few silver coins from there. Nothing crazy though. They have some interesting designs.

4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

5. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Sounds like a cool collecting topic.

I have a few minor denominations that I picked from world coin junk boxes when I was younger but nothing rare or valuable.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Welcome to CT. :cool::cat::cat::cat:

7. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Yes! I love Greenland coins. I collect coins with bears on them, which most Greenland coins do, so I have the majority of them. I'm at work now though.

The 19th century ones are very expensive. The 20th century ones are pricey but mostly doable, though everyone's definition of affordable is different.

8. Bean

Bean Member

Thank you for the replies!
    I currently have the 25 and 50 ORE from 1926. I wish I had a way to post photos. Does anyone know of a good photo editing program that doesn't cost my first born? The 50 ORE is beautifully toned, I would love to show it off lol. Now I'm looking for a nice 1944 5 Kroner. There are a few on EBay however most have black spots or are fairly worn. The prices are all over the place. Anywhere from 40 to $150. The mintage on the "44" is only 100k.

Thanks again for the replies!

Theodosius likes this.
  9. Bean

Bean Member

The interesting part is they were minted in Philadelphia. I live about 15 min away from the Phila. Mint. I thought that was kind of cool

Theodosius likes this.
  10. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

www.photoscape.org it's free and great. Many of us here use it. If you have questions on how to do something specific, feel free to message me.

11. Bean

Bean Member

Thank you Seattite86, I will definitely have a look at it!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  12. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Welcome! This place is a lot of fun, and even more so if you can share photos.

This one looks pretty respectable. There's a 63 for over $300 on ebay too. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NGC-MS-62-...765101?hash=item41fd6eb4ad:g:F~cAAOSwGjtcgeWO

Do you use a Mac or PC?

The photo preview on the Mac allows a really fast ellipse crop that I then import into usually PicMonkey. https://www.picmonkey.com/ Pickmonkey has a free and pay version. I use the pay version as I have ended up using it for quite a bit. Even the Christmas cards.

I also use the freebie version of Paint S on the Mac for some things. It's what I made my avatar with in fact.

I've only heard good things about photoscape though.

I also have a few of the Greenland coins. Nothing from the 19th century though. Plus a few mining tags from IIRC the 1960s.

My most recent PicMonkey coin shot. I imported the coins shots after circle cropping them on the Mac.
    combo.jpg

Happened to be playing with the Paint S program next for fun:
    1990 obv.jpg

And, from Greenland:
    combo.jpg

combo.jpg

13. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

I had this one until about 6 months ago, but I sold it at a DNW auction as it is not really my area. Made £150 hammer.
    Greenland 1863 6Sk 2.JPG Greenland 1863 6Sk 1.JPG

14. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

As rough as it is, I really like that Paddy. Didn't spot it at DNW but my focus was on some really nice Isle of Man bits at that auction. ;)

15. Bean

Bean Member

WOW, they are some nice photos, thanks for sharing them! Unfortunately I only have an IPad.

16. Hiddendragon

Here's what I have, in two groups. Group 1: 1922 greenland 10 ore.jpg 1922 greenland 2 kroner.jpg 1922 greenland 10 kroner.jpg 1926 greenland 25 ore.jpg 1926 greenland 25 ore hole.jpg

chrisild, PaddyB, Stork and 1 other person like this.
  17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

By the way, in 2006 the government of Greenland had plans to introduce new banknotes - still DKK (Danish krone) denominated, but with their own designs. Would have been similar to the agreement with the Faroes; no new coins were planned then. The government in Nuuk even asked Naja Abelsen, and later Miki Jacobsen, to design the notes. But in 2009/2010 the new government of Greenland asked Denmark to suspend the plans ...

Christian

Muzyck likes this.
  18. Hiddendragon

19. Bean

Bean Member

The 50 ORE I have is beautiful. Lots of luster with blue toning throughout. It has quickly become my favorite coin. I also collect Ireland and Iceland, German 5 Marks 51' thru '74, ( I love the screaming eagles), and Austrian 2 Heller which is complete except for the 1892. I have just the 2 coins from Greenland at this point and I want to get a nice collection of those coins.

20. Bean

Bean Member

21. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

Here's my only one - unfortunately a small scratch on the reverse that is very subtle in pictures but obvious in hand.

greenland192650oreo.jpg greenland192650orer.jpg

PaddyB and Stork like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted