Green encrustation on billon denier tournois

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

I've recently bought this medieval little coin, as I liked the observe.
    upload_2019-7-31_22-40-32.png
    Ruler: William I de la Roche (1280 - 1287), or Guy I de La Roche (1287 - 1294)
    Denomination: Billon denier tournois, minted: 1280 - 1294
    Obs: :G : DVX:ATENES: ( : = double trefoil stop, trefoils resembling Y), cross pattée; rev: reverse :ThEBE:CIVIS: ( : = double trefoil stop, trefoils resembling Y), castle tournois with open corner circles, surmounted by cross, distinctive style
    Weight: 0.55g; Ø:1.7
    Metcalf Crusades 1030, Malloy Crusaders 85

There is some green encrustation on the coin, both the observe and the reverse. I have two hypotheses:
    1) it's the copper in the billion coin that is oxidating
    2) it's the result of some PVC holder of the previous owner

How would you commence removing it? Would you? For option one, a low dilution of citric acid may do the trick (risking a pitted surface); for option two, aceton may be best suited.

The next question: this coin is somehow related to the crusades. I lack the knowledge to see why. Who could give some insight?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

The de la Roche family ruled a vassal state in Greece after the fall of Constantinople during the 4th Crusade.

4. Roerbakmix

Okay, so upon further inspection by daylight, I decided to give it a very short citric acid bath (<30 secs at ca. 80 Celcius). Quite happy with the results:

Before:
    upload_2019-8-1_9-57-30.png
    After:
    upload_2019-8-1_9-57-10.png

Thanks @swish513 for the info on the De La Roche familiy.

seth77, Bing, Clavdivs and 3 others like this.
  5. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Wow, that's quite the difference! Nice work! Good job erring on the conservative side.

6. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Excellent work on a very nice coin.

7. Roerbakmix

Thanks @seth77. This was one of my earliest coin restoration experiments. The latest was this one:
    upload_2020-5-1_12-43-35.png
    COUNT OF HOLLAND, Willem V. Denomination: AR Hollandse Groot, minted: Dordrecht, the Netherlands; 1378-1388
    Obv: +GVILLELMxDVXxCOMxHOLAxZxZELAND. Helmet in quetrefoil between two Dutch-Bavarian coat of arms, with one ring in each angle
    Rev: +BENEDICTxQVIxVENITxIxNOMINExDNI, floriated cross
    Weight: 2.02g; Ø:26mm. Catalogue: Grolle 17.9.2A. Provenance: Metal detecting find Oud-Zevenaar, near the assumed location of an 8th century church. ; acq.: 04-2020
    Very small flan crack at 6 o clock on the reverse

The coin had several problems:
    1) iron oxide depositions, mainly on the obverse, but also on the reverse. These are difficult to remove (I probably need to resort to stronger acids)
    2) hornsilver depositions, mainly between the legend

Johndakerftw and seth77 like this.
  8. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Late medieval Netherlands coinage is always interesting.

Roerbakmix likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted