Green colored quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Ccorvair, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Ccorvair

Ccorvair New Member

IMG_20190411_100553871.jpg IMG_20190411_100900535.jpg IMG_20190419_001410.jpg Hi, I am a proof (virgin) to your coin world so please be gentle. I have tried to learn how to present this so as not to offend those of you who have put in the work and time to have the ability to help me out. I have a 1999 Georgia D quarter that weighs exactly 5.5grams and this thing is green on the obverse (heads) and green with a bit of copper color on the reverse (tails) the edge ripples or grooves are not tight and pretty like on a normal coin. Another thing I https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z7KqJUj2pcYWmBk29could be wrong but it feels waxy? When I rub it with my finger and thumb the faces. I hope I did ok and looking forward to your input on the subject. Thank you

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

OK.. very gently.. It is called Environmental Damage.. Not a Mint Error

Exposure to a chemical or the natural elements will affect any coin.

R_rabbit likes this.
  4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's green goo. I think that's the clinical term.
    If it's organic, a soak in acetone won't hurt the coin and might remove it.

5. Ccorvair

Ccorvair New Member

Thanks I will try that , should I soak it over night? Do you think whatever caused it to turn green would lighten the weight by .17g ? Thank you for letting me know.

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

No it shouldn't have lowered the weight, unless something ate into the coin.
    There is +/- tolerance so it's not really off by much/any.
    You can soak it for a few hours, or overnight, and then rinse. It may or
    may not come off. This coin is worth 25 cents going in and 25 cents coming out.
    I do prefer 100% acetone with no adulterants. I can buy a 16 oz bottle at Wal Mart for $2.99.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Damaged by the environment. It spent too much time on the ground.

Welcome to CT.

Draft saved Draft deleted