Greeks?!?! What is wrong with me?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Dec 6, 2016.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Ok so we all know that usually ValiantKnight ≠ Ancient Greek coins. But this year I've been finding myself drawn towards them a little more than usual. A "little more" meaning to the tune of 10 added to my collection so far in 2016 (counting my three Seleucids). None of them are going to win the title of Miss Greek Coin 2016, but they were still interesting enough for me to give them a home. In short, the main selling points for me are their artistry and the symbolism/themes.

It is late here as of this writing so no history lesson about the coins, but I can come up with one when I have time if anyone wants me to. Will take a bit longer than usual though, since I'm not too familiar about the Greek cities my coins are from.

(My first coin with a griffin. Awesome!)

Magistrate Lycomedes, Abdera, Thrace
    AE14
    Obv: Griffin sitting right on club, ΛΥKO below
    Rev:ABΔ-HΡI-TE-ΩN around laureate head of Apollo right within linear square
    Mint: Abdera
    Date: 350-325 BC
    Ref: Mantis 1993.43.4

abdera.JPG

Abderamap.jpg

From my poor translation effort I believe the reverse legend ABΔ HΡI TEΩN has something to do with Abdera's relationship with another Greek city, Teos, but I was hoping someone would be willing to help me further understand what it says exactly.

And now for my other recent Greek acquisition:

Thessalonika, Macedonia
    AE17
    Obv: Helmeted head of Athena right
    Rev: ΘEΣΣAΛO-NIKH above and beneath bull grazing right
    Mint: Thessalonika
    Date: 158-149 BC
    Ref: BMC 19

thessalonika.JPG

The clear bull on the reverse is what won me over about this coin. Just grazing peacefully. I realize a grazing bull was probably a common sight but I like to think someone at the mint used their own memory of a bull grazing to create the reverse as opposed to a drawing or something. In this way I am seeing the ancient world through the eyes of someone that actually lived back then.

Balancing out my collecting transgression, I recently also got a couple of Byzantines, so I am still within the darker corner of the dark side :D

kyloren.gif

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Very nice! I'm really liking the bull one

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Atta-boy, Jango ... come to the even darker-side!!

=> Greek Vader!!

Darth V.jpg

:woot:

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I love seeing you dip your toe into another coin-pond (I find it kinda fun to occasionally stray into unknown territory => keeps it fresh, eh?)

Oh, I also have an example of your first OP-coin ... the cool Gryphon from Abdera

Thrace Abdera Gryphon.jpg

=> fantastic coins (the gryphons/griffins are definitely among my favourites)

Oh, and I also love your sweet bull example (I'm gonna have to check and see if I have a similar type) ........ again, congrats on money well spent (I love both of 'em)

dlhill132, TIF, Mikey Zee and 6 others like this.
  6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

7. ValiantKnight

Thanks for the comments!
    Man that sure is a nice one, especially the reverse. I know how much you dislike letting go of coins but if you ever upgrade, I'll keep this one in the family for you... "brother" :D

fighting-family-portraits.jpg

dlhill132, Smojo, Mikey Zee and 2 others like this.
  8. ValiantKnight

Oh and for everyone, please share any related coins!

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Okay ... ummm, how 'bout a few more random gryphon coins?

Ionia Teos Gryphon.jpg griffin & horse.jpg pan & griffin.jpg L Papi.jpg Tessera Egypt Serapis and Griffin.jpg griffin b.jpg griffin a.jpg Marcus Griffin a.jpg Marcus Griffin b.jpg

... thanks for the coin-op, my friend

:rolleyes:

10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Not a thing, sir. Not a thing.

I presently only have one. But I'm thinking of adopting another so it will have company in my Box of 20. :)

[​IMG]

11. lordmarcovan

I have had a small scattering in the past...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. lordmarcovan

Oh. I almost forgot about Big Al. A certain friend of mine twisted my arm really hard until I squealed and dropped the coin and then he kidnapped Big Al and now he won't let me have him back... :sour:;)

[​IMG]

13. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

I think that the Greek coins suit you. You should stop buying all those nice Roman coins from the late Empire, and focus solely on Greek and Roman Republic coinage :smuggrin::p

14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

The dark side is full of slippery slopes :). You got a couple of neat coins sliding down this one. I really like that placidly grazing bull.

My Abdera drachm has a hole that wrecks the reverse, but the gryphon is still pretty nice.

IMG_3620.JPG

15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Thrace, Abdera.jpg
    THRACE, ABDERA
    Tetrobol
    OBVERSE: Griffin springing left
    REVERSE: Magistrate's name around linear border, within which head of Hermes l., caduceus before; all in incuse square
    Struck at Abdera 411-385 BC
    2.780g, 15mm
    May 279

16. ValiantKnight

You first :)

17. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Just bought a Norman coin, now its your turn.:p:D

18. ValiantKnight

Sardis and Perge bronzes :)

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Later, in the Provincial period, many cities did not put the name of their city on the coin but used the genitive plural of the people who lived there. I have not noted this used this early but I would suggest researching if ABΔ HΡI TEΩN is how they would write "of the Abderiteans". This is how we get coins of Marcianopolis marked Marcianipoliton. How you can follow up this suggestion to confirm or correct me is not clear to me.

20. lordmarcovan

Back in the heyday of the Holey Coin Vest, I'd have been all over that one! Cool piece.

PS- I also dig griffins. Lord Marcovan (the old Dungeons & Dragons character I created in my geeky teen days in the early '80s) acquired a tamed griffin to ride into battle after he became a Ranger Lord. You'll note I posted a griffin coin above.

Theodosius likes this.
  21. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

It is always nice to expand your numismatic horizons - like having a new girlfriend/boyfriend in a way...

Those are some nice new additions! and well chosen.

As for me, for the moment at least, my loyalty still belongs to Rome:)

Draft saved Draft deleted