Greek Lecturer ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Jan 13, 2015.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

The first impression I had on the reverse of this coin is that it represents a lecturer raising his right hand and holding something meaningful with the other hand. I might be wrong.. The obverse shows clearly the face of a king. Weight is 9.57 g. Glad to read your comments and views. Thanks.. Lect O.jpg Lect R.jpg

chrsmat71 and stevex6 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

wow, dude ... where are you getting all of these coins? (you're posting new coins at break-neck speed!!)

4. 7Calbrey

Hi S6. My seller presumed that they are parts of a hoard. I feel happy to show them to everybody. What is your opinion about this , say lecturer ?

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Curious => do you try looking them up before you ask us dudes on Cointalk?

:woot:

frisbee golf.jpg frisbee golf too.jpg

... ummm, maybe it's a guy playing frisbee-golf?

;)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    Ardatirion likes this.
  6. 7Calbrey

What you mean by looking up. JA taught me how to choose among the hoard. He even provided me with a guide list of Roman rarities.Then I'm buying cheap. I'm not gambling. Finally, don't forget it's a hobby.. Cheers dude.

stevex6 likes this.
  7. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

He's asking if you look at any online or printed references or sources to help identify your coins.

Kasia and stevex6 like this.
  8. 7Calbrey

Yes. I look at WildWinds. I got this site from CT. But how could this always help me when I don't even know the name of the Emperor on obverse for instance? CT has become my principal guide. Sometimes they lead me to Vcoins or to auction houses on the Web. They make it easy for me, and I share the scans of History and Numismatics on the site so that everybody could enjoy, learn or benefit.

stevex6 likes this.
  9. 7Calbrey

The man on reverse is wearing a hat. Could he be a mythical god or what ? I can also identify some Greek letters.
    Charles

10. 7Calbrey

Hi. By luck and only by luck, I found this tiny ancient Greek which has the same reverse with more lettering. Hope that could help.. Thanks. Charles SLect R.jpg SLect O.jpg

11. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Calbrey, you've posted a lot of coins on here for attribution. It might be trying the patience of some of our members. I, for one, actually do this for a living, so I'm less inclined to do it here for free. Try searching the online resources a bit better. Try housing a search, the CNG archives, or wildwinds more. Maybe shell out some cash for a physical reference, like the relevant volume of the Handbook of Greek Coins.

In any case, these are both bronzes of the Seleukid king Antiochos VI. Similar to: http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=252376

12. 7Calbrey

Thanks a lot . I'll do my best.
    Charles

Draft saved Draft deleted