Greek Drachm and 4Drachm - Ptolemaic? Help Please - Eagles

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rexesq, Feb 27, 2011.

1. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Hi, these two coins are broken, repaired, one better than the other it seems, a drachm and tetradrachm. I like the tetradrachm, and have wanted one of this style for a while, and most are quite pricey, I have an opportunity to buy both for fairly inexpensively.
    Normally I would disreguard such broken coins, but the portrait of the tet seems undamaged by the break, as does most of the eagle reverse... the other less so of course....

So my questions, whom are these coins of? possible regnal years? and what any of you guys think the larger tet would be worth? Any help, as soon as possible, would be great.

These are the only pics I have, seller photos.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

pretty sure they are Seleukid Kingdom, other than that :eek: maybe:

Demetrios II, Nikator
    Antiochos VII Euergetes (which I'm leaning toward, but idk)

no clue about authenticity either, sorry.

4. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Hmm... My offer expires later today... I really do like the portrait of the tetradrachm, and they look real to me, but always hard to tell by photo.... it's a reputable seller..... so I might go for it.... i almost wish they had not been repaired though, and left in the broken state they were found in..... well if I buy them, I can post better photos on here, and I'm sure someone can read the dates and positively ID them..... both coins for around $50.... I don't know... I might do it....

5. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Well I let his counteroffer expire, as he did mine..... so I guess I will be waiting to buy my first Ancient Greek coin..... I have always wanted a Ptolemy XII Tetradrachm and am watching several from a dealer in Israel I have dealt with in the past. I don't know when I will get one, could be weeks, or years.... it is definitely on my list, fairly high up.... just a bit of a pricey coin, in any grades it seems. So I shall wait, and see. Thanks for the help though Randy.

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I'd like to get a Ptolemaic tet too, kinda towards the middle of my wants atm. I'd like an Athenian one too. I'm you'll find a nice one and apreciate that you didnt get these later on.

7. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Thanks Randy, I think so too.
    Yeah I would love an Athenian Tet.... I almost like some of the new style ones with the owl on the amphora more than the older style ones..... but they are both very beautiful.... I just like the extra detail on the new style Athenian Tets.
    But I have wanted a Ptolemy XII for a while, and lost several beautiful ones by just one bid, and then truly regretted my trying to save a few bucks by not entering the highest max bid I was willing to pay. One will come along one of these days, for me and for you..... same goes for the Athenian tets..... we will have our chances in the future....

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Indeed...

I actually like the new style Athenian Tets. also but I would be happy with the older one ;)

9. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

I like them both, the new style just seem a bit more detailed and intricate, with the great detail on the head of Athena on the obv, like the detail of her helmet, to the reverse style, I just love them. Niether too high on my priority list of coins, only because of their price though.

By the way mat, nice new avatar ;) looks good.

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I like the older style myself, but yeah the price bumps it down on my list too :) Unless I find one for a killer deal, I'd want to be picky with these.

Draft saved Draft deleted