Greek Coin Giveaway ... with a JQA twist

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Brian Bucklan, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Peter Parsons

Peter Parsons New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I'm interested.

I like the coin and the provenance. :)

John

4. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

I'm interested! :)

5. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

The coin you are offering is not in my area of interest @Brian Bucklan - but your offer is most generous and it’s provenance is wonderful - thank you for contributing to the furtherance of our great hobby.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Tlberg and PlanoSteve like this.
  6. kkm

kkm Active Member

I'm interested

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The ticket says this coin was from lot 308. Below I copy the description of that lot and the other two catch-all large lots of Greek coins. Lot 307 was the better grade coins not deemed worth individual lotting while 308 and 309 were the lesser grade coins split int two 43 coin lots:
    20200819_223217.jpg
    Lot 308 sold for $110. Winners of lots were given the paper tags as shown but, I believe, without lot numbers filled in. I have seen some of these tags with catalog numbers of the coin (Sydenham, as I recall) and quite a few that were sold with coins that do not belong to that number probably due to people mixing up which coin came with which tag. I consider this coin quite appropriate to be part of lot 308 but there really is no way that it can be proven. The sale catalog included eleven plates showing the finest coins of the collection. I have never seen one of those illustrated coins. I bought the two I have, both Roman bronzes from group lots (many coins were lotted in groups of two to these two of 43 coins), from a dealer who bought them from the original bidder. I would love to see (own, even!) a JQA coin that was illustrated in the catalog.

This is a great giveaway. I wish you all good luck and do not request inclusion in the contest.

Parthicus, Tlberg, DonnaML and 7 others like this.
  8. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

That is amazing Brian! Thank you.

oh, and “I’m interested”

;)

9. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

As a student of American and ancient history, consider me interested! Thanks for being willing to do this. We’re privileged to have so many kind and generous members.

ominus1 and Bayern like this.
  10. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I'm very interested. Thank you for the opportunity, Brian!

11. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

I'm very interested!

12. Aaron Apfel

Aaron Apfel Active Member

That's so cool! I'm interested. Very generous of you

13. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

Thanks Doug. I did a quick web search to find info about that lot but I didn't find much. It now appears the tag and coin almost certainly go together. I also suspect a large percentage of coins and tags from this auction have separated over the last 50 years.

As to the giveaway, at 9pm tonight I'll pick the winner of the coin. Good luck to all.

Tlberg, DonnaML, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  14. Co1ns

Co1ns Active Member

I'm interested

15. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

I'm interested, thanks for the generous giveaway Brian.

16. tmeyer

tmeyer Au hunter

I am interested.

17. chuckylucky5

chuckylucky5 Well-Known Member

I too am interested.

18. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

I'm interested

Thanks, Brian. If you've the time, would you consider providing more details on where you obtained this lot of coins?

Have a terrific day!
    David

19. Allisgroovey

Allisgroovey New Member

I'm interested very much

20. Aliasuk

Aliasuk Member

21. Aliasuk

Aliasuk Member

I am very interested!

Draft saved Draft deleted