Greek coin dealer robbed in London Hilton

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by calcol, Sep 28, 2021.

1. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Thank Greeks bearing gifts....

Signed: Mission Impossible Team

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. OldSilverDollar

OldSilverDollar Unknown Member

Have you invited him to the forum for a special guest appearance?
    It might be helpful for his gofundme if he reaches out to the general coin community more.

green18 likes this.
  4. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Would anyone leave that much value in cash in a hotel room?
    If making off the radar deals wouldn’t the coins still be locked up securely.
    Was an insurance claim filed?
    Agree with those that think this was a self set up.

5. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

So he could collect on insurance he doesn't have...

6. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

All I can say is that if I had £500,000 worth of coins with me I would not let them out of my sight. I definitely wouldn’t leave them in a hotel room. Hotel rooms are about as safe as leaving it in the hotel lobby. Actually a hotel room is probably less safe because at least hotel lobbies usually have some check in staff keeping an eye out.

I’ve had soooo many things stolen from me out of my hotel room.

I don’t know why he didn’t have insurance either. My mom recently inherited an expensive ring from my great grandmother who passed away and it was worth less than 1/20th of this collection and she still insured it.

But I’m not going to say anything is fishy or that I’m skeptical because I can’t prove the guy isn’t an innocent victim and imagine how awful it would be to not only lose a £500,000 collection but also for
    no one to believe you.

I hope that the police recover his collection or at least part of it. The seller is definitely going to have to work to get rid of it. Afterall some random dude walking in with a £500,000 collection is going to draw attention and especially now that this story has come out.

Sure the seller could try to sell them one at a time slowly but they won’t do that because it gives the police more time to catch them. They want to move that inventory as fast as possible.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

So he can blame the hotel and get a payout from them? Just a thought.

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The maid broke the rules. You don't just let someone in a room. You send them down to the front desk to prove who they are and get a new key. The hotel and the dealer must share the blame for something like this.
    I don't see a reason to think the dealer or the maid planed the theft. That's up to the law/police to decide.

9. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Common sense states this does not add up. Anyone successful enough to handling that amount of coins would not be so careless.
    Questions:
    Did consignment coins that belonged to others were insured. If so then suspected with collusion of dealer.
    Did dealer have any sort of insurance that article did not factually reported or at time of publication was aware of? If so dealer suspected.
    Did dealer owe money to a shady source? If so dealer suspected.
    I have stayed in Four Seasons, The Breakers and Colony in Palm Beach and A Hotel 8 when younger and I would never leave anything of value in anyone of them unless it was jewelry and that went into the room safe if I was hitting the beach or pool.
    Who here has?

10. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

YOU WOULD if that is what you did all the time for business.

11. Gam3rBlake

No I would not. What does doing it for business have to do with leaving something unattended?

OldSilverDollar and furryfrog02 like this.
  12. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

And that's a VERY bad business practice.

13. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

If leaving vast amounts of valuable items unattended and unsecure all the time is how a persons business is run, they aren't marked as a victim they are marked as a target. One of our businesses is an insurance agency and not anywhere in any policy does it state you are covered for stupidity. And even if he had taken out insurance, the fraud dept would be looking into a claim most meticulously

14. OldSilverDollar

OldSilverDollar Unknown Member

IMG_1315-2.jpg

John Skelton and charley like this.
  15. Gam3rBlake

But if that’s true what was the motivation behind it?

To get some publicity?

My collection isn’t worth even 1/100th of that value but I sure wouldn’t let someone steal it just to have the news report on the theft.

To scam insurance?

Why? If he needed money why not just sell the coins? The market is HOT right now.

16. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Remember, this member believes his opinions are absolute truths. This isn't the first time he's posted ridiculous claims to support his statement. And God forbid, if you ask for information/data that supports his position, or even worse, disagree with it. Then you're automatically labeled a troll

I just sit back and get a chuckle when he starts posting this type of nonsense. Too bad he has to go over the top to "prove his point". He occasionally posts some interesting coins, but stuff like this just kills his credibility.

Maybe his father (who is banned from CT) is responsible for these ramblings.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Believe it or not a lot of dealer do.

Some don't carry it because ot the expense, some don't because of the bookkeeping hassle. And some don't because "I'm careful so it's not going to happen to me."
    Most major shows have a security room where dealers, and sometimes collector, can leave their valuables which are not on the show floor. These rooms tend to operate from a day before the show until a day after.

But the dealer released the hotel from liability. Yes the maid broke the rules so the maid is who you would have to go after for restitution. Good luck with that. You know a maid you can sue for $500K and actually recover from?

18. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Insurance collected and product sold is not a new thing. Consignment coins had insurance? Were they from the same person or entity? Was someone going through a divorce and had the coins taken so they would not be part of a settlement? Lots of different angles could be looked at. But of course Gam3rBlake I don’t have a clue but only speculate.

19. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Yes you WOULD or you would die of a brain aneurysm.

20. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

which part of, you can't strap half a million dollars of coin to your tushi while living on the road 24/7 aren't you understanding?

21. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

By the way, that would help you anyway. The guy in Brooklyn was shot in the head and his body stuffed in the trunk of a car.

Draft saved Draft deleted