Greek coin dealer robbed in London Hilton

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by calcol, Sep 28, 2021.

1. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Evidence? An unsupported claim is just that. I can claim you are a green-skinned alien and who is to gainsay me. Oh, I have no evidence to back up my claim.

I have a close friend who is a dedicated conspiracy theorist. You name the wacky claim and he says he found it in the fever swamps of the internet where "they" said it was so. Nevertheless, we are close friends and we enjoy the byplay that results from his ludicrous claims. I will never convince him of anything and vice versa because, respectively, he is not interested in anything that does not support his preferred narrative and because I won't consider anything to be factual without credible evidence.

So, in the interest of the debate and not out of any animus, please provide some evidence of your claims. I am persuadable but only by evidence.

BTW, most of the folks talking about the Greek coin dealer in this thread are not so much "blaming the victim" as trying to learn something from that unfortunate's fate. In other words; "What did he do or not do that contributed to his becoming a victim and what practices can I adopt that will protect me in the future?"

4. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

https://coinsweekly.com/coin-theft-after-coinex/

Be careful when buying such coins and please contact either Paul Menzies or Christos Pouloglou.

Paul Menzies: phone: +44 7764 209201 or via email.

Christos Pouloglou:
    SVcollector coins and collectables
    Solonos 18 , Kolonaki ,10673
    Phone: +30 2103644276
    Khfisias 232 , Khfisia 14562
    Phone: +30 210 8088364
    Athens, Greece
    Mobile: +30 6983709787
    email

5. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

nonsense. You know it and I know it. The evidence is all around you.

6. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Easy - he dealt in coins. That was the key thing he did. That made him a target because the criminals know they can unload them or melt them.

7. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Plus, he didn't have insurance. What dealer would NOT carry insurance?

furryfrog02 and OldSilverDollar like this.
  8. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

According to articles, he lost the insurance with Brexit. I have no idea of the details, but I find it as unimportant to the theft, except you can rule out that he was trying to collect insurance money.

9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't carry that much valuable material without insurance. Plain and simple.
    If he is indeed the victim, then I feel bad for him...but not THAT bad.
    [​IMG]

10. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

He is a victim and you should feel bad for him. Try to take less advise from fictitious characters with learning disabilities. Remember that coin theft is not a victimless crime

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  11. furryfrog02

1) proper spelling is fictitious
    2) Just because someone has a "learning disability" does not mean they aren't smart

delila1 likes this.
  12. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

It doesn't help.

BUT not being able to tell a perpetrator from a victim is a moral failing... every time. Even fictitious character with mental disabilities can figure that out... as well as Crows, Chimps, Elephants and Dolphins. You learn more from Dylan Ebdus than Forrest Gump.

13. furryfrog02

Not saying the Victim isn't a victim. Just saying that things don't necessarily add up. Things aren't always black and white.
    Especially when a coin dealer travels with $500k worth of coins sans insurance and leaves them in a place with zero security.
    Would YOU travel with that something so valuable with no insurance and leave them in your hotel room with no security?
    You are either stupid or a criminal.

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  14. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

It does add up. BTW here is his gofundme page:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-chris-pouloglou-after-massive-london-robbery

Neither, all you have to be is a crime victim.

Support the victims.

15. furryfrog02

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  16. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Accusing the victim is part of the problem, not the part of the solution.

17. furryfrog02

One of the few things I agree with Reagan with:
    "Trust but Verify"
    [​IMG]

Evan Saltis and green18 like this.
  18. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Apparently this guy left his entire career and future unattended in a hotel room. Not real bright. I'm surprised you ever amassed that much wealth.
    To me that's like a person that decides to not pay the premiums on their home insurance and when the place burns down they cry about it.

OldSilverDollar and furryfrog02 like this.
  19. furryfrog02

[​IMG]

OldSilverDollar and green18 like this.
  20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It's not the politically correct thing to do, to take responsibility......

OldSilverDollar and furryfrog02 like this.
  21. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

It is not guaranteed that putting into a safe in the lobby protects one. You would need to know the law in London. I am sure the show has some dealings with the hotel, but he was in another hotel. But monetarily, just putting it in a hotel safe doesn't necessarily give you more protection in termos of liability.
    You would guess that he was traveling with those mobile safes, and it was reported that they blocked opened the elevator door and transported several boxes. I don't even know what coin dealers do at major shows. Do they routinely check everything into a hotel safe?

Regardless, it only takes a moment of fatigue and bad judgement to expose yourself to predators. These guys were ready for a haul. If they didn't nail this dealer, we would be reading about another dealer instead, with the same line up of blaming the victim.

Draft saved Draft deleted