greatcollections.com

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Coll3ctor, May 27, 2021.

1. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

For California buyers we pay 10% sales tax and then we would add 12.5% buyers fee = 22.5% and shipping ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Yikes, I see that as a definite issue. The majority of my Ebay sales in the old days were shipped to ÇA and I used to say that’s where the money is.

4. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

The majority of my purchases were on Ebay as well, mostly raw coin varieties. I recall at one point adding up 3 purchases. They were $5, $28, and $59.99, all sold by coin dealers. So $93 in 3 raw coins which I later sold at $4,500, $3,500, and $3,549.00. No better place if you know what you’re looking for.

serafino likes this.
  5. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

California is by far one of the richest states, and we are heavily taxed. You would not believe what a small home sells for in the S.F. Bay Area

6. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Ian - the owner of GreatCollections - bought this summer (as a buyer's agent), three of the ten most expensive coins ever sold.

If that's not an endorsement as an expert, I don't know what you could be asking for.

wxcoin and Stevearino like this.
  7. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Specifically knowledge that listed coins are accurately attributed. Of course not all of them or obscure varieties but those clearly visible to the naked eye. They have pulled them from auction once informed which is great. I only mentioned this as another poster made it a point that there are coin experts. To me that sounds like promoting expert review and handling vs questioning the knowledge base of the owner.

8. Tamaracian

Tamaracian 12+ Yr Member--Supporter

In 2015, I had a discussion with Ian Russell (President of GC) about a Lot of coins that I had just sent to him for auction, which included an 1883-CC MS66 DMPL with beautiful peripheral toning in an old ANACS Slab (small white), that their photos didn't adequately show the toning. I mentioned that PCGS Coin Facts photos were IMO the best, and seemed to always show the true color and saturation of any toning present, and why didn't GC's photos look similar; Ian mentioned PCGS and other major TPGs and Auction Houses have Proprietary Photo Setups that he doesn't have access to, so that when he firm was first started in 2010 his staff took about 6 months to get a setup that would adequately show a coin's true nature (to include defects, hairlines, marks, scrapes, and wear) but that whatever toning was present may not show up as very saturated, and that is why GC photos may look lighter than the competition or even washed-out. Ian did agree to have closeups of both sides retaken so that the peripheral toning would show up better--it worked, the coin sold for $2,037.50 and had 32 Bids.

In a previous post I had mentioned that I have had 25 Lots (217 Items) auctioned on GC, most of which were purchased raw from eBay and other internet sources. I have found in many cases that the photos in the these Listings did not show the true nature of the coin (e.g. defects, hairlines, marks, scrapes, and wear) that when received would be evident to me; I would rather have the GC photos that show ALL characteristics of the coin's surfaces commensurate with the TPG's grading--even if they appear washed-out--because I know that the coin will look "better in the hand".

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    serafino, wxcoin and Stevearino like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted