Great Research Sites

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by HawkeEye, Jun 20, 2018.

1. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

There are two extremely good research web sites that I don't think I have seen discussed here that I think everyone should have on their radar.

The first is Numismatic Bibliomania where Wayne Homren publishes a weekly newsletter updating the latest publications of interest to collectors and students of numismatics. The information is free and when you have something of real interest there is a chance of a shout out. http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_v21.html

The other site is the Newman Numismatic Portal at Washington University in Saint Louis. This portal is rapidly becoming the primary research location for all things numismatic and is rapidly building a deep library of books, documents, government publications and the like. It is also free to access and you will find a wealth of knowledge there. Definitely this should be on your list of links if you are researching anything related to coins. https://nnp.wustl.edu//

Stevearino, kountryken, NSP and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Excellent, sir! Thanks for sharing.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The first, Esylum, is listed in the Numismatic Resources section, but the 2nd one isn't. You should add it ;)

5. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

6. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Okay, I'll ask. Where is the Numismatic Resources section? I am glad to add it but not sure where to find it.

7. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Well I found the resources page and added it, but I need for someone who has privileges to add the URL

8. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

I do encourage everyone to sign up for the ESylum newsletter. There is a lot there other than US coins, but always something to learn and it is free. At first I thought the other than US coins were not interesting, but over time I find myself drawn to the discussions and it is a great chance to learn about the history of coins and what others collect.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Done.

But your comment brings up a question that I need to ask. Am I correct in assuming that when you initially made your post there you forgot to add the url. And then when you went back to do so, you could not add it ?

I'm asking because that's the only possible scenario where I can imagine you were not able to add the url. So IF it did not happen that way, then please tell me so I can make an effort to correct the problem. If it did happen that way, then all is well.

10. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Correct, there was no edit feature on the post so I could not reopen it to add the URL

11. Larry E

Larry E Well-Known Member

Thanks for info

12. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

I just found another excellent site and not sure what category it might fit into but if you do any work with double dies this link has the best explanation of the process of die doubling. http://doubleddie.com/58222.html

I work with Morgan Dollars some and there are many discussions and descriptions, but having a few pictures seemed to help this old mind grasp things much better.

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  13. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Coverage by ESylum newsletter is much more than books and publications. It typically has articles on all aspects of numismatics. A really excellent online newsletter.

Cal

Draft saved Draft deleted