Great new pickups

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Today I took a day off of work to go to my favorite coin shop. They always dump most of their inventory at the end of the year so I always try to go a few weeks before and take one last look before then. I got a lot of great coins from the "junk bin," which is usually my main goal, but then one of the employees said to me that they had some new books of coins that they hadn't had time to sort through yet, which he gave me to look through. Oh, wow. There were five small folders containing mostly silver coins. Every coin was in perfect condition. Lots of coins I've never seen, or never seen in that condition. Now I'm not a high roller so I knew I wouldn't be able to buy much. Many of the ones I asked about were way too high for my pocketbook, but I was able to get a small handful. Here's what I got. They're not all silver but most are.

1869 papal states 4 soldi.jpg 1869 uruguay 4 centesimos1.jpg 1903 japan 1 yen.jpg 1908 s philippines 1 peso.jpg 1944 slovenia 10 korun.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hiddendragon

4. Hiddendragon

5. Hiddendragon

IMG_20191204_224906090.jpg IMG_20191204_224912624_MP.jpg IMG_20191204_224921588.jpg The pics are scans and don't quite capture the luster that many of these have so here's some cellphone photos I took. Lighting isn't perfect either.

6. Hiddendragon

More cellphone pics.
    IMG_20191204_224946283.jpg IMG_20191204_225000550.jpg

Muzyck, TexAg, ddddd and 7 others like this.
  7. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Very nice buy. I don't find quality like that at the LCS.
    Run to the ATM and make a second run!!!

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Nice coins. Good to see you again. I wondered what happened to you. My favorite coin was the Uruguay sun coin.

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  9. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  10. Hiddendragon

I had to do that already to complete the first run.

Theodosius and xCoin-Hoarder'92x like this.
  11. Hiddendragon

I've been here but mostly just reading. Haven't been buying a lot lately (coins). Instead I bought a house and lots to go with it.

12. Hiddendragon

Those are the first of these type of Maltese coins I've owned so I was happy to see them. I was also happy about the Japanese yen because I've seen other people post them on here and wanted one but had no idea what they go for.

13. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

Also those Mexico 5 Pesos are cool ones to own. I remember in 2013 right around my birthday the LCS had a small box of these for what $18 each? They were all AU condition, exceptional looking. Now on ebay they individually sell for around 40 easily.

14. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

Always wanted to have a Japan Yen silver, occasionally a reputable dealer will have one that looks nice but they always bid really high. And always afraid that I'm gonna get stuck with a counterfeit.

15. Hiddendragon

I think I paid $18 each for these. I love this design too. The coin shop actually had a whole bag of these, probably 50 or so. I wish I could buy them all.

16. Hiddendragon

Same here. Judging from the other coins in the collection I was buying from I feel like I can trust the authenticity. Whoever assembled it had a lot of money and a good eye.

17. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

Nice, very nice haul. Some of these are difficult to find, especially in good condition! (the 100 Drachmai, 1967).

Hiddendragon likes this.
  18. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Do you know if those were actually circulated back in the day? I know that Mexico holds a record for circulating silver for the longest - 1995 100 Nuevos Pesos had a sterling center.

Did that giant 5 pesos circulate?

19. Hiddendragon

I don't know for sure but I don't know why it wouldn't have. It was right after they stopped making the silver 1 peso and there are other silver 5 pesos (of a different design) throughout the 50s.

20. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

I'm sure those were, Mexico actually was still issuing gold coins in 1948. Also on en.numista they would specifically say if a coin is non-circulating, in this case that isn't stated.

Hope this wasn't too old of a bump, holidays are coming! :p

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  21. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

[​IMG]

And then here is a 2 1/2 Peso gold piece, supposedly circulating in 1948.

[​IMG]

hotwheelsearl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted