Great Expectations - Are NGC Values Reasonable?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by donMiguel, Jun 13, 2021.

Tags:
  1. donMiguel

donMiguel Member

Greetings,

Over the years, I collected a little of this, a little of that. Now a change in social state motivates me to sell some (or all) to increase quality of life.

So I start to inventory and seek valuations. One of the coins is a Switzerland 1913 10F graded as MS63 by NGC. I go to the NGC website, enter the identifier into the Authenticator, coin matches, so I select the Values link.

It opens a page, with the appropriate row conveniently highlighted, and I am surprised by the asserted valuation. Screen scrape shown below (if I followed instructions). If I sell this, what should I actually expect to gross? Pretty sure the listed values significantly exceed what I paid. Is Great Collections a viable (and appropriate) sales venue?

Are the values NGC lists typically achievable? Or represent high retail / insurance valuations? Is there a general rule, like 66% of listed price, that is applicable (most days)?

Thanks for sharing your insights. And thanks for your tolerance of my first thread create.

Attached Files:

MIGuy and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Those prices are mostly always non-realistic to retail sales.I suggest checking on ebay and other auction sites such as heritage,great collections etc.

MIGuy likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Like the Red Book, those prices are just a guide. Try checking sales on google, not the listing.

5. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

I find NGC closer then PCGS on prices... usualy... but always look at recent auctions.. trends can change in hours :D

Santinidollar likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted