Great Britain: gold half-sovereign of Queen Victoria, 1901, from the Dr. Jacob Terner collection

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Mar 9, 2021.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. 9

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. 8

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 6

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Great Britain: gold half-sovereign of Queen Victoria, 1901, from the Dr. Jacob Terner collection
    01-TernerHalfSov-frame.png
    Obverse: veiled old head of Queen Victoria left.
    Reverse: Pistrucci's Greco-Romanized rendition of Saint George slaying the Dragon: St. George right, naked except for cape, on back of rearing horse, wielding gladius-style short sword to strike at dragon below.

KM 784, .917 gold/.1177 oz. 3.99 g. Mintage: 2,037,999. PCGS MS64, with Terner pedigree noted on label. Cert. #90089936. Ex-Dimitri Gotzamanis, Athens, Greece (aka "SYRACUSIAN" on Collectors Universe), January, 2005, through a private trade. Prior provenance to the collection of Dr. Jacob Terner, purchased by him in 1982 and sold by Goldberg's as Lot 406 in the Pre-Long Beach Auction of May 26-27, 2003.

I've had this beautiful little coin for many years now. It used to be one of the important pieces in my daughter's 1901 Victorian type set, but in early 2014, when she decided she really wasn't that interested in collecting coins, I sold her collection to reinvest the proceeds into something else until she grows up. I decided to keep this coin for myself, though, and so "bought" it back from Victoria to include in my own "Eclectic Box" collection.

Miscellaneous links:
    PCGS cert verification page
    NGC/Krause priceguide trends
    2003 Goldberg auction listing (Lot 406, this coin)

Wikipedia links:
    Queen Victoria
    Half sovereign
    Saint George and the Dragon
    Benedetto Pistrucci

01-TernerHalfSov-frame.png

02-TernerHalfSov-black.png

03-TernerHalfSov-gradient.png

04-TernerHalfSov-white.png

05-TernerHalfSov-shadowbox.jpg

06-TernerHalfSov-slab.jpg

030000S

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Beautiful coin, wonderful on the eye, classic reverse, good provenence. What's not to like. I gave it a 9

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I love sovereigns. I don't have a half sov though.
    The pictures are all great but I really like the one with the reflection for the gold.

5. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I agree, gold coins look very nice with it. I don't do it with silver.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

That “shadowbox” template used to be my old standard, and I love the way it looks, but since I lack the Photoshop skills to duplicate it myself and grew tired of constantly having to hire or beg the help of others to create the pictures, I abandoned it in favor of the simpler “grey gradient” background, which I am capable of doing myself.

The gradient is uncomplicated and non-distracting, and since some coins look better against a dark background while others look better against a light background, it offers a bit of both.

But I do a variety of different backgrounds now, simply because it is easy for me now (can be done with a mouse click in remove.bg), and that way it also offers future owners several options if I sell a coin.

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

A nice coin with a classic design-worthy of at least the 8 I gave it. :D

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Beautiful half sovereign! :)
    It's great to have the previous owner's name on the label.

I have a 1900 veiled-head half sovereign.
    Same grade MS64, but nothing about previous owner.
    Victoria_MS64 small.jpg
    Slab.jpg

I also tried to pick up a high-grade young head example. However, they are so expensive with high grade. I just have to settle for a lower grade example instead. It is an AU58. The portrait reminds me of the Roman Faustina Junior young head, which I am actively collecting these days.
    YoungHead.jpg

9. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

love them all

happy_collector and lordmarcovan like this.
  10. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

So we have a young head and a veiled head...why no love for the ugly middle child?? :p

I offer my 1891 Jubilee Head Sovereign as tribute :p
    1891 GB Sovereign.jpg

11. lordmarcovan

I have yet to own any Young Heads or Jubilee Heads. I did once own a CAM proof Old Head half-sov. That thing was a sight for sore eyes. Alas, that was in the early 2000s, and I no longer have images of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted