Great Britain Elizabeth of the £20 pounds banknote with three heads?Check it out

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Thecollectible, Dec 15, 2017.

1. There are three men heads statue complete shape on beautiful security threads

Please refer to the scans below and let me knows of what you think laters there

IMG_0900.JPG
    IMG_0916.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Neat watermarks. I know nothing about paper currency, but I think I might've spent some of those when I was over there in 2013. I know I had some ten-pound notes, anyway. As an American who had not been outside of his home country in decades, the novelty of spending different coins and banknotes was fun. I enjoyed using those thick pound coins.

PS- given his influence on economics, I suppose it is fitting that they honored Adam Smith on that note.

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

The OP is referring to the hologram 3 heads of Smith on the security strip, normally there are only two, however it is not uncommon for there to be three.

Three heads.
    £20.jpg

Two Heads

CA04 711919.jpg

5. lordmarcovan

Aha. Naturally I did not know this. I gather then that the holograms are on some kind of tapelike strip that is applied during the manufacturing of the note? Which get cut in random places, thereby making the number of Smith portraits on the strip vary?

6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

I don`t know if its a tape, I think the method of applying it is a trade secret for security measures.
    The strip has a number of foil patches along its length, which contain alternating holographic images. The position of the patches varies along the strip.

7. lordmarcovan

Kinda what I figured. Which would explain why some notes have two heads and others three, I suppose.

daveydempsey likes this.
  8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Yeah, but he is on the way out so to say. ;) The new £20 notes (polymer, to be issued in 2020) will feature J. M. William Turner. And they will have a see-through window and a "foil patch" instead of the holographic stripe. The £10 notes already have such elements, and they have to be built into the notes at one specific spot. Similar to our €20 and €50 notes where the see-through window is at a certain position within the holographic stripe ...

Christian

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

You Eurodudes (Brits included) have so much more interesting currency.

We USA-ers are so stuck in our ways. That's why our govenment continues to crank out billions of 1-cent coins every year, even though each one made costs about 1.5 times its face value and nobody ever uses them anymore. As usual, the Canadians have a much more common-sense approach.

10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Yes, getting new or "significantly updated" money every couple of years is certainly nice. On the other hand, when our cash - euro, pound, Swiss franc etc. - gets updated, that usually means the older cash is phased out. At some point it loses its legal tender status, and in some countries it actually gets demonetized after a certain period of time.

(And phasing low coin denominations out makes a lot of sense in my opinion. Now except for the ½p, the UK has not done that either, and in the euro area some countries do it while others don't. But that has been discussed excessively in Coin Talk's coin forums. ;) )

Christian

11. Try to notice for one of the man head which in complete shape statue than missing part of it right on top security thread your banknote you are showing to be honest with you

Draft saved Draft deleted