Great Britain - 1880 1 Penny overdate

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, May 15, 2016.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Hey everyone!

Just imaging some non-silver world coins that have been sitting in a container for oh, I dunno, 6 months...when I got to the editing stage, I noticed something strange happening on the date. What I found when I looked at it through the loupe was a nice, clear overdate.

Great Britain - 1880 1 Penny.jpg

Great Britain - 1890 1 Penny - Date.jpg

I've checked Krause, Numista, and NGC World Coin Price Guide for known varieties - anyone able to help me out with a rarity/value on this?

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Well...no completed sales on eBay. There is a thread in another forum here that shows this exact variety - looks like someone recently paid 300 pounds for nicer example (I'm thinking mine will grade VF.) Speculation over there is that there may only be 25-50 examples known...so maybe this is a decent find!

4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I would guess this is a re-engraved digit, as the underlying one was way too far left. It's certainly not punched over a previous year :)
    Definitely interesting! I don't know if the price of that other example is much of a reference though. Normal examples in such condition can go for that kind of money in the UK.

5. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Interestingly, these don't seem to draw that much interest and as collectors apply more attention and magnification to details more overdates and letter "corruptions" are coming to light. One interesting series that this occurs in would be the Maundy coins from mid-19th C.

Good pickup though!

Draft saved Draft deleted