Great auction win/ Murad V AV 100 Piastres AH1293/I

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by panzerman, Jan 17, 2019.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Just won a MS
    AV 100 Piastres AH1293/1 (1876)
    Sultan Murad V 1876
    Kostantiniye Mint

This was a short reign Sultan, due to this only three denominations where struck
    AV 100/ 50/ 25 Piastres 4625176l.jpg

talerman, Bayern, Chris B and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

ive had some new interest in coins from that region. I'm finding it hard to find very many at my local shop. love that gold piece

Hookman and panzerman like this.
  4. panzerman

You can find lots of nice Ottoman Empire coinage at these auction sites....
    Heritage
    Steve Album
    Baldwins of St. James
    Morton & Eden

The Murad V coinage is very rarely offered, all is very rare. I was lucky, no one seemed to know how rare this coin was, so I got it for $400.

Bayern and Hookman like this.
  5. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Nice coin, panzer ! I collect some Islamic coins also but only silver ones.

Can you read the writing? I can not though I can read the numerals.
    What country is this ? I'm guessing it's Turkey, due to the Star and Crescent symbol and the Toughra.

6. panzerman

Actually this coin was minted in Kostantiniye (Istanbul) formerly Constantinople (Byzantine Capital) So, even though the Ottoman Empire had shrank over past 300 years, it still controlled a vast Empire in 1876. In 1566 (Sulieman the Magnificents) time, the Turkish/ Ottoman Empire stretched from Hungary/ The Balkans/ Greece/ Middle East right to Persia/ included Saudi Arabia/ North Africa. After WWi the Allied Powers carved up the Ottoman Empire, created Colonial Fiefdoms, Saudi Arabia/ where the root of all the troubles in the Middle East stem from today. All this, to punish Mohammed V for picking Kaisers Wihelm II and Franz-Josef as his allies in the Great War.

7. panzerman

He became Sultan in May, 1876. Murad V was deposed after a short reign of 3 months, on account of mental illness. He was succeeded by Abdul Hamid II in August/1876. hence his coins are rare.

Draft saved Draft deleted