Grease filled coin

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by usmc60, Apr 2, 2017.

1. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

The only error this coin has it was in the wrong place at the wrong time.This one cent coin did not come out of the mint looking this way, definitely circulation damage. :rolleyes::blackalien:
    ct4-2-2.jpg

Attached Files:

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

By no means is a grease fill coin associated with a old term grease fill die. Here is a production debris die. uil-1-2.jpg This production debris occasionally fills in the depressions on the reverse image on the die. ct3-21-2-3.jpg This kind of production debris also creates a lot of struck through's..usmc60

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I live in NYC so I make it a habit of walking around with a pointy awl. When I see coins stuck to the tar street paving I pull them out. The side that was buried always looks like your coin!

5. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

What is the old saying watch the pennies the dollars will take care of themselves.
    I do the same generally if a coin is on the ground it's not there when I'm there and ends up in my pocket. But in this one it was found in a Loomis roll.

I agree with you on your call I think you hit it right on the nose. Having done my share of as vault road work I have to agree.:blackalien:

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

I still stoop to pick up pennies.

Oldhoopster and paddyman98 like this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Since back surgery, I still want to but just can't.

8. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

A little double-sided tape on the cane works quite well for that job.usmc60

9. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Here's one for you, I believe this is to be classified as a grease Mark.
    And not a struck through grease. ct11-13-7.jpg

10. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

That looks like it might be glue stuck on the coin.

Youngcoin likes this.
  11. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

There is always that possibility, I pulled this coin out of circulation years ago.
    Whatever the substance may be. All I know is that it stained into the coin.

There is no external residue left due to the fact that his been in circulation, and has gone through a lot of oily hands.
    I have been told to backup my assessments. The only reason I believe it is oil, correction grease stain. Is because of the little residue spots that are there.

But without sending the coin in for a residue analysis which I can't see spending a couple thousand dollars for that procedure, I'm going to have to go with my visual observation of a grease stain. USMC60

Draft saved Draft deleted