Gratian Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ben88, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Ben88

Ben88 Active Member

I found this among my dad's collection. I posted it in World coins, and received some information as follows:

It is the Roman emperor Gratian (367-383 AD). The inscription on obverse reads DN GRATIANVS PF AVG (Dominus Noster Gratianus Pius Felix Augustus) [Our Master Gratian, Pious, Blessed, Augustus). If you post this in the "Ancients" section, others can give you more info.

So I am posting in "Ancients Forum" to hopefully gather more information... Thank you for any additional help !

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

4. Ben88

Ben88 Active Member

5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Looks real porous. Not sure what to make about the authenticity as I'm not too knowledgeable about this time period. But if it turns out to be a genuine Gratian....

gratian_siliqua_clipped_rev_1 (1).jpeg
    Gratian

Then you must also get a Valens.
    These two worked rather well together towards unintentionally destroying the fragile balance between Barbarians and Romans in the 4rth Century. After this lot the question was not if the Roman Empire would fall, but when. The fact that the Eastern Empire managed to last another 1000 years was a miracle. Any betting man at the end of the 4th century would have been smart to bet none of the two halves would survive another century, because that's how bad things looked at that time.

valens k (1).jpg
    Valens

Pellinore, Bing and furryfrog02 like this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The coin does look quite porous, examine the edge to see if you see a seam where it might have been cast. What is the weight and diameter in mm?

7. Ben88

Ben88 Active Member

It is about the size of a dime, but much much thinner. Thinner than the depth of the 2x2 holder. The width is 19 mm

8. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

I strongly suspect that the coin you showed is a cast copy. It has very obvious casting bubbles, the contours of the design and legends look mushy and not struck, and the toning is very suspicous, too. Hopefully, I'm wrong!

Severus Alexander likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted