Granted, the colors were way less vibrant when the current seller bought it, but a 10X increase?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dough, May 23, 2017.

1. Dough

Dough My brain is open

The current seller didn't even take new photos. They took images from the original listing and increased the brightness.

Is this an attempt to get over on Make Offer low-ballers?

Are they hoping someone thinks they're cherrypicking a proof?

upload_2017-5-23_11-52-12.png upload_2017-5-23_11-52-30.png

ColonialCoin4 and Travlntiques like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Just hoping someone has to have it I guess. He probably wants it for himself unless he gets a monster offer so figures no harm listing it crazy high in case someone falls in love with it.

But that's just a guess.

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I have seen this with toned and in-toned coins - some cheap some not so cheap. They sell at one price on ebay then come back at a much higher price with better pictures (or maybe something just showing the colors more - not saying they juice the pictures or anything like that) - sometimes they sell and sometimes they don't. With the color he just might be looking to make a little money if offered. I once watched a large cent sale at one price in an auction, get listed at a price to where they made some money and it sold. Then get listed and double the sale price - it stayed there for a month before it disappeared.

5. Dough

Dough My brain is open

The image in the current listing has more juice than a bookie drinking screwdrivers with O.J. Simpson. :) They just added effects to the images in the original listing. That mustard yellow...yuck.

6. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

I actually missed that in your OP. I read it as "...they just used the original seller's photos". That's way more shady of intentions than my original post.

7. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I saw that listing last night and clicked right past it. No VDB is worth that money without either the letter S or letters MPL attached to it. Nutty!

8. Dough

Dough My brain is open

I would have rolled eyes and scrolled by, but the image looked suspiciously like my avatar. :)

9. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Well I won't disagree with you but some people really like to see a variety of colors or toning on their coins. Not always my cup of tea, but sometimes I do like them.

10. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Yeah, I noticed that too. :troll:

11. Dough

Dough My brain is open

Something just clicked at the mention of "shady intentions". This buyer had a request "Please do not put invoice copy in package". I thought it was a gift until I saw the listing. Now I'm thinking the shadiest of shady activity. Purely speculation, of course. What if the person doing the buying and listing is "investing" someone else's money? "Don't worry grandma. As soon as this coin sells, I can give you back the $900 you were saving for that cataract surgery."

12. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

From looking at the black squiggle north of the final "9", I'm convinced this IS your avatar coin.

RonSanderson likes this.
  13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I am concluding the OP is the original, lower-price seller, who is therefore in a position of authority to comment on how heavily-juiced the new images are. :)

14. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

That is 100% your avatar coin @Dough
    What the heck is going on here.

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

That seller has bought from me before. They left the same note of no invoice please. I don't see anything particularly wrong with it. Maybe someone else opens the mail and the buyer just doesn't want that person to see the cost of the items. Or they are afraid that someone at the post office could open the item for inspection and see that it is something valuable. Anyways, they have plenty of feedback as a seller and a buyer. They have been on ebay for many years. Plus, it's not an account that was inactive and suddenly started to have a lot of activity (the feedback looks consistent). As long as the OP received their asking price for the listing, I think all should be fine. I don't think it is fair to jump to any conclusions.

16. Dough

Dough My brain is open

Thank you for bringing me back from the dark side ddddd.

Yes, I was the original seller. I'm not too keen on having my images copied and altered ::think positive Dough:: but maybe the current seller has a dim monitor and thought I was underselling the tone and colors.

I do believe that an item is worth what someone will actually pay for it. If this thing sells for over $1000 I'm changing my pricing model.

I'm more curious than anything.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  17. ddddd

ddddd Member

You're welcome! Personally, I'm ok if someone reused my images (frankly I'm happy that they bought the item for the price I wanted). However, I agree with you that in general, it's not the best when someone takes your images without permission. If they want to use them, it should be agreed to as part of the sale.

And if they sell your item for multiples, you may have to start charging more. Or just advertise that you have unbelievably great prices!

18. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I think (if I'm remembering correctly) that if you--as the copyright holder on the original photo-- can complain to eBay and have them removed. If you are aggravated enough. I'm guessing in hand the coin resembles your shots more than theirs?

Travlntiques likes this.
  19. Dough

Dough My brain is open

All I can say for sure is that the coin in hand, under the lighting in my environment, is more accurately represented by the original image as I see it on my monitors.

Thank you for suggesting a solution. I appreciate it.

20. Dough

Dough My brain is open

What the...? What am I missing?
    upload_2017-5-26_14-25-41.png

21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Color. If what they did to the image is more accurate you under priced it, if your images were more accurate then that coin will be getting returned quickly

Draft saved Draft deleted