Grandma's coins

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Dave M, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I was asked by my mother to take a look through a stash of coins her recently deceased mother had accumulated. A good portion so far is us coins, and since I don't collect them I'm not sure if there's numismatic value. There are rolls of circulated 90% and 40% silver quarters, halves, and dollars, some back to walking liberty halves and morgan dollars. Once I look at the mintages in Numista (virtually all are minted in the millions), are these essentially worth melt? There's one roll of 1966 Kennedy halves that looks like it came from the bank, most are shiby uncirculated. Any value for those?

It looks to me like most of this should probably just go to my local dealer where he'll give us some cash for the silver content, after everyone grabs a coin or two as a memento.

I'll probably have more questions later, haven't opened up the "random assortment" box yet.

Thanks

BlackBeard_Thatch likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

Look through the circulated quarters to see if there is any key dates like 1932-S and 1932-D other then that they are worth melt, see if there is any keydate morgans or carson citys. Honestly with the roll of 1966 Kennedy halves you could prob get some biddiot on E-bay to pay up on those. With the Walkers and Franklins they usually have to be in high grades so most times they go for melt(don't quote me on this because I don't collect them) Keep us updated!

Dave M likes this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

let see pics of the random assortment box coins

Seattlite86 and Dave M like this.
  5. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

The silver dollars should sell for at least a few dollars apiece over melt unless they are really terrible. They and the walkers should be checked for better dates also.

6. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Thanks guys. I just opened up the random assortment box. Mostly still US coins, for some reason I thought they'd mostly be foreign. I'll take a couple photos, one coin looks to be an ancient about the size of a dime, and there's all the way up to 6-7 Sac dollars, which is baffling to me but I suppose telling of her method of keeping anything that didn't look normal.

7. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Possibly consider listing them in the "For Sale" section here, on Coin Talk. You may get more than a dealer would offer. The going sell rate is around 12x face value.

8. James S

James S Low Mintage

I wouldn't sale them at a Pawn shop just saying.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There are some really nice DDO's for the 1966 Kennedy halves. Be sure to check for them.

Chris

10. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Here's the bulk of the misc box. I've left out the 90% quarters and halves. I'll take one more pic with a few more things. misc1a.jpg misc2a.jpg

Seattlite86 and Garlicus like this.
  11. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Thanks, I will check through them.

12. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Some more. I think there's a nice type set of barber coins that I will give to my sister. The 66 half is representative of the best from the roll of 20. The two in slips are the only coins in the bunch that were in holders... any ideas why one is a "lucky coin" or the 1973 quarter would be here? And the ancient, I have no idea..

misc3a.jpg

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Do the 1927 and 1924 peace dollars have mint marks?

longshot likes this.
  14. BlackBeard_Thatch

check the reverse of that dateless SLQ, is it type 1 or two? if its type two there are 3 stars under the eagle

15. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Not from what I can see. Here's the reverse of the 1927: 1927half.jpg

16. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Three stars

17. BlackBeard_Thatch

alright, worth melt. I was just wondering because if there was no stars its type 1 from 1917 or 1918 but still worth little premium in my eyes.

18. atcarroll

even without a mint mark, the 1927 is a better date. 1924 is a common date, though, unless they're s mints

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    longshot likes this.
  19. BlackBeard_Thatch

the 1927 is a great date with only 848,000 minted making it the second lowest mintage behind the 1928 with 360,600 minted and if counting high reliefs 1922 with 35,401. The toning on the coin looks great too

atcarroll likes this.
  20. atcarroll

For some reason the 1927 D and S are more expensive in MS than the Philly mint, not sure if they're overvalued or the Philly is undervalued.

BlackBeard_Thatch likes this.
  21. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Type 1 SLQ is 1916 and 1917. (99.999% are 1917)
    Type 2 is 1917-1930.

Check the 1912 nickel for a mint mark. D or S.
    Why is the 1973-D quarter in a flip?
    The 3 Barber quarters and Barber half are worth more than melt, as are the Peace dollars even though it all looks like circulated common dates.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted